Japanese Railroad in Marshall Islands

Kb4iuj

Hello,

My knowledge of war in the Pacific is limited. I believe the Japanese occupied since 1914.  I believe there were several narrow gauge railways.  I believe a German colony also built a narrow gauge railway.  Not the same as Japanese.

On Tarawa in the Gilbert Islands I am completely sure that Japan constructed one narrow gauge railway.  It was the 1067mm gauge so common in Japan today.  I do not think any locomotive was used.  My understanding is that a wide area was cleared for moving items by rail.  Man power was used and I believe 50cm diameter wheels with axles were mounted on simple wooden carts.  I heard that sometimes motor vehicles were used to tow particularly heavy items.  The railway to which I refer was dismantled by the Americans when the island was captured at the end of 1943.  The rails were used for piling under a pier.

Perhaps a similar situation prevailed on the Marshall Islands, as the terrain is quite flat.

Do you guys know if Japan has like a military Historical Society. Some place where they might have maps of the islands and the layout of the bases. I believe the Marines captured Tarawa and so the Naval Historical Society just might have some photo's of the past. Course, maybe the Army was there too and their photos just might be at West Point, NY. Probably, under a huge stack of photo's. There is a British magazine called "After The Battle". Shows battle footage and current photo's of how the places developed over time. I wonder if some the folks in the Japanese publishing world ever pondered creating such a magazine about former battle sites. So that's great about Tarawa hence, I'll contact a Dive Shop and see if they've dived under the pier to look around and maybe catch a lobster or two. As no tell'in how much junk is under that thing. Great lobster beds.

Edited by Kb4iuj