DCC Functions

loulasalle

Hey Folks,

I hope that this finds everyone well!

I have a dilema, not Japanese, not N scale, probably more DCC, but I am a DCC novice.

I recently bought a Jagerndorfer Railjet that is supposed to contol the interior lighting on the passenger cars, and cab car,  by using F3. i am using an NCE Pro Plus starter set,i have 20 or so JR trains, but only two that are DCC, which I converted, and work fine.(simple Kato install).

Try as i may, on the Railjet, i get good operation and headlight on / off, but F3 gives me something that may be a City type whistle. Any suggestions.

While we are at it, i just received my Kato C58 #2010, back from a professional Soundtraxx install,MCIZ102SQ????, doesn't do squat, on either DC, or DCC.

I am thinking of staying with my Lionel TMCC/Legacy, and leaving N scale, and HO to those better equipped to make them work.

HELP!

Regards,

Lou La Salle

Try as i may, on the Railjet, i get good operation and headlight on / off, but F3 gives me something that may be a City type whistle. Any suggestions.

Check your user manual for the decoders installed. If the cars have electrical connection between them, then your cab car can control the interior lights. If they don't, then you need a separate decoder in each car. The F3 seems to be the main horn of the locomotive, which is quite normal for a sound equipped locomotive. In this case, the interior lighting have to be remapped. Whoever did the install (either factory or a 3rd party) must have given you a table with the decoder addresses and function mapping of your train. In case of separate decoders for the locomotive, cab and each car, you'll have 2 or 3 different types of decoders, hopefully set to the same address (without any advanced consisting) and any function conflicts solved with remapping. You may have to use the functions above f9 to control the lights.

While we are at it, i just received my Kato C58 #2010, back from a professional Soundtraxx install,MCIZ102SQ?, doesn't do squat, on either DC, or DCC.

The new address of the locomotive was probably (or should have been) given to you, but i would check the installation personally before taking the locomotive home. Also the DC functionality might be disabled in your decoder.

I am thinking of staying with my Lionel TMCC/Legacy, and leaving N scale, and HO to those better equipped to make them work.

DCC is easy as long as you use an easy to use, graphical interface equipped center, like most modern european systems with the huge color lcd screens. When you get a train DCC equipped, always test it at the shop and write down the decoder address and the meaning of all the functions. Also test everything as the 'professional' installer might have broken something somewhere. The best idea is to get the printed instruction manual of the decoder(s) built into the train and write the information on the back. (along with the name and/or set number of the train) This also helps getting support or service later as you'll know what you have and how should it work. This gets you the same level of reliability as any Lionel train with a factory installed digital system.

ps: It's just like getting a car fixed, you probably test it at the shop before taking it home, so you'll know that someone forgot to connect the brake line before you actually have to use it to stop. If the shop doesn't allow this and have your car delivered to you on a trailer, then you shouldn't trust them.