An unexpected C57

Welshbloke

A casual trip to a local model shop saw me acquire my first Japanese steam loco. A near-mint unboxed Kato C57 for £48, runs perfectly and only needs a bit of dust removed from the body. Only things missing are the number plates, which I suspect were still in the box when it went its separate way. Do Kato offer these as spares and does anyone have a part number? Might end up asking the same about a C11 in the near future as they also had one of those in the same condition for a few pounds less.

They also had what I think was a 9600 in a bad way which I passed over despite it being stupidly cheap (as in "I paid slightly less for lunch" cheap). Missing the tender and the valve gear on at least one side. Again, anyone know what my chances would be of finding spares if I went back and bought it? Was very tempted but didn't want to throw money (even that little) away on something which I simply wouldn't stand a chance of restoring.

Yes these parts are provided separately.  All you need to do is look on the Kato website and view the assy sheets and find the part number (ie number plates) and get someone like Dave @ Loco 1 Hobby or Nariichi @ Model Train Plus to get them for you.

Edited by katoftw

Kato hasn't done a 9600 since 2002 - chance of spares = 0%.

MicroAce last did a 9600 in 2013 - but they are struggling to release new models, so chance of old spares = 1%.

Edited by katoftw

You must have visited Hereford Model Centre

Spooky! It was indeed. I've been going there for almost thirty years (can remember the old shop over in Bastion Mews, although I was only a kid when they moved).

They can apparently order Kato stuff now, not sure where to look for the assembly sheet though? I've tried Kato's main site, clicked through "Items in stock" and found the C57 (item #2007) but can't see a link to an exploded diagram.

I'm 99% sure it was a Kato 9600, but by the sounds of it I'm best off leaving that for someone with a complete dead example looking for parts. The bodyshell looked in good condition from a quick glance and all wheels were present.

Edited by Welshbloke

That C57 is from 2007 I think.  If you cannot locate the number plates by themselves - yahoo has used ones range from 3000-5000 yen for cheap ones. 15-25 pounds.  they have the number kits supplied etc.  you'd have to pay shipping and vat also.  just a left field option.  2 trains and enough number plates for both.

Edited by katoftw

Spooky! It was indeed. I've been going there for almost thirty years (can remember the old shop over in Bastion Mews, although I was only a kid when they moved).

When in the UK, that's my nearest model shop. It's a proper model shop as well, lots of stuff all over the place and various nooks and crannies to explore. Staff are knowledgeable too.