Kintetsu 12200s

Welshbloke

I've bought and built a four-car example of these EMUs in B Train Shorty form, one question though:

The pack of the two driving vehicles came with two different ends. One set (the ones I fitted) look like the videos I've found of the trains as they run now, the others have twin destination boards over the headlights rather than a single board in the cab end doors.

I know some (all?) of the two car units originally had some sort of snack bar/buffet in the driving motor just behind the cab, Bandai made that style a few years ago and the photos on their website show that style of cab front on the earlier model, but the only video I can find of a two car 12200 unit in service has the same headlight setup as the four car units.

Anyone know any more? I mostly bought it as the kits were cheap and I quite like the colours, it was a bit of a surprise to find what I'd let myself in for when I opened the boxes! I'm wondering if the rebuild to remove the snack bar also saw the cabs rebuilt, but if so why would Bandai bother including the spare ends in the pack?

Incidentally, if you like the look of these the B set (the two centre cars) suits both the 12200 and 12400, it includes alternative roof panels and pantographs to suit either. Just buy it along with the right A set for the type you want to build, a Power Unit 3 and a pack of trailer chassis and you're sorted for a four car set.

• Like 1

Ahh, that'd explain it then! I'd imagine the instructions in the kit had the same, but as I can't read Japanese I was relying on diagrams. Thanks for clearing it up!