Keisei Skyliner AE series 5 year anniversary

Not really a 'livery'. More like a few stickers. Those cheapskates at Keisei wouldn't dare doing a complete new livery! xD Until the mid-nineties when the bubble-era money went out, Keisei stopped with creating alternative liveries.

Toni, Keisei--unlike the private passenger railroads that operate in western, northern and southwestern Tokyo--isn't exactly flush with cash. They probably make a lot of their money from the Skyliner service between Narita Airport and Keisei Ueno Station--especially the fact you can go between Keisei Nippori Station and the Narita Airport stations in just over 30 minutes.

It is indeed. Wow, has it been 5 years already? It does make a difference - from Chez Railsquid on the west side of Tokyo, it's now only about 10 minutes longer to Narita than Haneda.

Toni, Keisei--unlike the private passenger railroads that operate in western, northern and southwestern Tokyo--isn't exactly flush with cash.

There is a reason why this small collection is taking up space in our apartment...

IMG04292.jpg

• Like 2

... Those cheapskates at Keisei wouldn't dare doing a complete new livery! ....

Hello,

Your comment is unwarranted.  Keisei is a reputable company with over 100 years experience.  Before referring to Keisei as "cheapskates" I suggest you consider the 2015 annual report and see just how much money this company invests in railways.  Further, Keisei is celebrated for taking on and competing with JNR and the newer JR group.  Many Japanese choose Skyliner because Keisei has tackled JRE head on and competes very agressively.  My own brother insists on using Skyliner for this very reason.  

Something I think not mentioned on their website in English, is the fact that Keisei has invested heavily in Tokyo Disneyland.  The investment of these so-called "cheapskates" helps put smiles on thousands of faces every week !!!

• Like 1

It was merely a remark regarding the investments of Keisei on the liveries on their trains. Usually they run around with fainted colours, almost never see any alternative livery (if ever). If you feel bad by this, then I am sorry. I hope you can still visit Disneyland without thinking about my remark and getting a bad taste in your mouth when consuming overpriced happiness. 

Kindest regards, a Keisei fan who dares to utter some personal opinion and critique.

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am not particularly Keisei fan, but appreciate their contribution to Japanese railways and, with this in mind, I feel the "cheapskate" tag is inappropriate.  Actually, I have no Keisei models among my collection.

When it comes to your "overpriced happiness", is ¥7000 really too much to pay for a day pass at Disneyland?  What does a Broadway show cost for the three hours of entertainment that you get, or seats at a pro baseball or basketball game?  Is the food and merchandising at those venues really that much cheaper than Disneyland?  It's not "overpriced", it's just "the price".

The view from the bridge at Ochanomizu is free ... oh, but you'll have to pay for the train trip to get there ... better Google an image instead, don't you think?

¥7000 can buy me a model train or can be invested in more viable causes, which, in my opinion (because it is my money), provides me with more satisfaction than visiting a site for a few hours that neither speaks to my imagination, nor fancies my interests, etc. The trip would be more interesting than the event itself and that isn't worth the effort. If it wouldn't be my money, then I don't care much, other than it is a waste of time, depending on the company.

If Keisei would put the looks of their trains on par with other companies, I wouldn't be using the word 'cheapskates' for them. It however is their choice where to invest in, but that does mean run-down looking trains (even the new 3000 types). Keisei's investments have not been very well thought of in the past as well (e.g. Chiba Express (1992 - 1998) and other Chiba New Town projects and combined Hokuso line ticket costs as an example), so that sets a certain reputation in my eyes.

bikkuri bahn

The problem with Keisei is that it's in Chiba.  Sorry, some elitism there, but it's true :) Most rail companies are going to come up short in the image department when compared to Tokyu or Odakyu, which run through the more upscale parts of Tokyo and Kanagawa Pref.  My mother, who is a Yokohama native, always has considered Tokyu Dentetsu a first class operation and looked down on say, Keikyu, which ran through the more industrial, blue collar parts of town.  Btw, Sotetsu to her was that railway past the fruit stand that hauled rocks to that empty lot full of puddles near Yokohama Station (now the location of the Takashimaya Dept Store).

• Like 4
Nick_Burman

Btw, Sotetsu to her was that railway past the fruit stand that hauled rocks to that empty lot full of puddles near Yokohama Station (now the location of the Takashimaya Dept Store).

Delightful description... :)

Cheers NB

Chiba is indeed not known for its classy and stylish lifestyle. Au contrâire. That's why I maybe feel attracted to the region and Keisei. The area where I live in doesn't really fit my interests in that sense, but it's good living.

Let's also not forget Keisei abolished market transport compartments only a few years ago. Not a beacon of class, but awesome nonetheless!

IMG_30021.jpg i008.jpg

Btw, Sotetsu to her was that railway past the fruit stand that hauled rocks to that empty lot full of puddles near Yokohama Station (now the location of the Takashimaya Dept Store).

And she was not wrong in her observations: http://tnk-ko.a.la9.jp/Sotetu/sotetu_el_index.html Look at these switching moves next to Nishi-Yokohama station on the same line where intense 6, 8 and 10-car commuter train operations continue as if nothing is happening.

Many Japanese choose Skyliner because Keisei has tackled JRE head on and competes very aggressively.  My own brother insists on using Skyliner for this very reason.  

Keisei's Skyliner--especially since 2010 when the Narita Sky Access Line opened--is hugely popular because the travel time between the Narita terminal stations and Nippori Station is just over 30 minutes. It's easily by far the fastest way to get back to central Tokyo from Narita Airport.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Keisei's Skyliner--especially since 2010 when the Narita Sky Access Line opened--is hugely popular because the travel time between the Narita terminal stations and Nippori Station is just over 30 minutes. It's easily by far the fastest way to get back to central Tokyo from Narita Airport.

Define "hugely popular".  It may be good for people staying in the upper right area of the Yamanote Loop, but for people say, in Kanagawa Prefecture, it's not.  Better to take JR-E's Narita Express or even better, the limousine bus.  Traffic statistics for all airline customers released by NAA, operator of Narita AP, have a 9% share each for the Skyliner and Narita Express, and a whopping 21% using direct airport access buses (second pie chart).  For foreign visitors, Narita Express is more popular than Skyliner, with 13% share vs. 9% (fourth pie chart).

http://www.naa.jp/jp/airport/pdf/chousa_03_h25.pdf

• Like 1

or even better, the limousine bus

Bikkuri this is an outrage.  You will be haunted by Inoue Masaru and Shimoyama Sadanori.

I can also be accused of taking the Limousine Bus, but these are ran by Keisei and Kanagawa Chūō Kōtsu to our main terminal, so I'm not super guilty in that case. If there would be a good railway connection, I'd take the train. If there is however no luggage to carry and it is a pick-up run, I take the train however. Keisei Main Line of course.

Limousine buses are pretty good, but there is one BIG problem for visitors from the USA: many flights coming from the USA arrive at Narita Airport between 1530 to 1700 hours Japan Standard Time, and you don't want to take the limousine bus at that time of the day given the bus will be stuck in Tokyo's notoriously bad street traffic.

Despite its fairly steep price, the JR East Narita Express is actually very convenient, especially if your final destination is very close to a major JR East Station. Just make sure you get on the right car when you board the train at the airport to get to your final destination in the Tokyo area.

My post was in jest. Although when it comes to buses, I do only like local services (and really those should be streetcars, right? :grin ).

I would be concerned about the bus getting stuck in traffic, though. Being late seems like much less of a risk on a train, especially a Japanese one.

Edited by miyakoji

I would be concerned about the bus getting stuck in traffic, though. Being late seems like much less of a risk on a train, especially a Japanese one.

I think there is an exception to this rule about heavy traffic riding a bus: if your Limousine Bus service ends at the Tokyo City Air Terminal (TCAT). Since TCAT is directly connected to the expressway system, it's effectively a non-stop expressway ride between Narita Airport and TCAT. Mind you, how you get to the rest of Tokyo is kind of tricky unless you ride a taxicab or use Tokyo Metro Hanzōmon Line (TCAT is connected to a station on this line).