Engineering turnouts

Hi all,

On a recent trip to Japan I noticed that some lines have special engineering turnouts, for engineering sidings not in regular use. From what I could see, the main running line was uninterruped, i.e no point blades or crossings, and the components for the siding were hinged and in some way folded over the main running line. There is also a bump in the rail on the siding, presumably to gain enough clearance for the wheel flanges to pass over the running track when in use.

Anyone have any more information on this type of turnout? And, has anyone tried to model one?

The temporary ones are called flying turnouts and are just laid over existing parallel tracks to create crossovers. The other type is a lift turnout, that looks very similar to a derail, but actually allows trains on the diverging route to cross over the continous straight tracks by lifting the diverging flanges above the continous rails. It's a cheap way to add a slow diverging speed turnout to a high speed straight section. The alternative would be a movable frog turnout that allows high speed running in all directions.