Mystery plate from Japan

yakumo381

This 40 cm diameter plate or charger was recently bought by Mrs Yakumo381 from a local antiques shop still in its original box and packaging.

The original owner was apparently an elderly gent who had lived in Japan in the 1970's / 80s, who had recieved this as a business gift and had brought it back to the UK on his return.

An internet search has identified other types of Arita pottery but not "Arita Hasami" which presumably this appears to be.

Being unable to read Japanese, can anyone help solve the mystery of what it is and where in Japan it was made by what is written on the label that was with the plate?

post-265-0-03815500-1435433047_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-15093600-1435433056_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-41165800-1435433127_thumb.png

The pamphlet title reads 肥前焼の由来 (Aritayaki no Yurai) "The origin of Arita porcelain".

The character 焼 (yaki) can mean something like "heating", which is how porcelain is obviously also made. Apparently (I didn't know until I researched it just now either) the character 焼 is used as a suffix for porcelain. In other words: if you search for "Hasamiyaki" or Hasami porcelain you will find some info. The Japanese characters for Hasamiyaki are 波佐見焼.

Hasami is a town in Nagasaki prefecture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasami,_Nagasaki

Please correct me if I said anything wrong, I'm no expert in Japanese and have little knowledge about this stuff either. ^^"

Strange is that it says ARITA・HASAMI on the first scan even though Aritayaki and Hasamiyaki is something different.

The pamphlet title reads 肥前焼の由来 (Aritayaki no Yurai) "The origin of Arita porcelain".

Not an expert either, but "肥前" is "Hizen", which is the old name for the general area of Saga/Nagasaki prefectures. Aritayaki is "有田焼", one of the "styles" from the region.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses and Mrs Yakumo381 has added the Arita Hasami area to our Japan trip schedule for next year.

Looking at Arita Station on Google Earth, it appears to have or had sidings for freight presumably shipping out the locally produced pottery. Anyone know if Is this freight depot still active or has trucking taken over? (So I have something to photo whilst she goes off hunting for porcelain :) )