Going EF66 Hunting and question about identifiers

Hello all,

I went over to the Tsurumi Loco Depot today next to Shin-Kawasaki Station and took a bunch of photos and video of the locos there. However, I wasn't able to catch an EF66. Going from Shinjuku, where is the closest place to see an EF66 in operation? I'd love to see the first production batch in the original blue and cream livery!

Also, can someone explain to my how the four digit number followed by a letter identification system works? I see thinge like 5415レ and 1824M but what exactly do they denote? Just the train number? If so how do the Rinji trains get identified? And what does the suffix mean?

Thanks for all your help!

Also: where can I find the elusive E217 Series train in Shonan colors?

Edited by ote-m
bikkuri bahn

The letter identification works like this:

[レ] is used for freight trains and loco-hauled passenger trains

[M] is used for emus

[D] is used for diesel multiple units (dmus)

Various other alphabet letters are used for the various JR lines in the Tokyo Metropolitan area (and Kansai) in addition to the M designation. This wikipedia entry has the details (scroll down to 末尾のアルファベット部分の付与体系):

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%88%97%E8%BB%8A%E7%95%AA%E5%8F%B7%E3%81%AE%E4%BB%98%E7%95%AA%E6%96%B9%E6%B3%95#.E6.A7.8B.E6.88.90

The numbers are for internal use by staff, though fans often use them to identify specific services.  The JTB and JR timetables print them, as do the better online timetables.  There is a system to the numbers, but it's too complicated for me to explain now.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
bikkuri bahn

Also: where can I find the elusive E217 Series train in Shonan colors?

It was removed from service on the Tokaido Line with the spring timetable revision this past March.  According to wikipedia, the trainset was moved to the Tokyo General Rolling Stock Center (it was formerly based in Kozu).  Don't know what its final disposition will be.

So it's not as simple as in the Netherlands where the last two numbers indicate the specific run (the first run of the day 01, second 02, etc.) and all numbers before indicate the train service? So for example: intercity 800 between Amsterdam and Maastricht, 47th run of the day = train 847

This system is very convenient because almost all trains running at the same time of the day have the same last two digits because most trains in the Netherlands have a 30-minute frequency. So if you transfer trains the last two digits often stay the same. Not interesting for the average passenger, but for me it is. :P

I used to often see the EF66 on the Nambu Branch Line, but the last one I've shot was on May 27. The several times I've since been to Hachonawate or Hama-Kawasaki Stations in June in the late afternoon, I haven't seen any EF66s.  As an aside, the Beitan Fuel tank train to Yokota has run by at 3:00 for the past four Wednesdays. It wasn't usually so regular before. For some reason a Nambu Line Out Of Service consist has come down onto the branch line at Shiitte Station, passed through Hama-Kawasaki and parked on the sidings on the Tsurumi Line then come back through the station and turned onto the Tokaido Line just after Hachonawate Station, possibly every week day. I only visit the line on Wednesdays or Saturdays. At about 4:40 a DE10 passes Hama-Kawasaki from the Tsurumi Line and turns off to the Tokaido Line after Hatchonawate Station. If you have time, it passes Hama-Kawasaki Station to the Tsurumi Line at about 8:39 AM and about 8 minutes later an EF65 comes down hauling a load of back hopper cars. At about 8:54, the spare Nambu Line consist passes the Hama-Kawasaki Station to park at the Tsurumi Line depot on the Tsurumi Line. At about 9:29, the EF65 come back and parks on the siding on the other side of the overpass and later then reverses onto the Freight Line and heads to the Freight Terminal next to the Shinkansen Depot. I also saw a solitary EF200 just after someone posted about them being scrapped. Perhaps the only time I've seen one. That's all for now. Take care.

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 1
bikkuri bahn

Ote-m you might have better luck if you stake out a position on the main line, yards are very large areas with often very poor sight lines and limited access. Being that its June, why not find a place on the Yamanote Freight Line such as Harajuku to see the very early morning trains from 4:30am to 6:00am? It gets light very early so you can photograph alot before the morning commute rush. There is one freight train 4083レ a container freight from Shin Tsurumi to Kuroiso that is rostered for an EF66.

old video but you can see what the Yamanote freight line is like in the early AM hours @Harajuku

Edited by bikkuri bahn
bikkuri bahn

You may want to try the Musashino Line, which probably has more evenly spaced freight traffic. @Nishi Urawa and Shin Akitsu Stations:

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

I also saw a solitary EF200 just after someone posted about them being scrapped. Perhaps the only time I've seen one. That's all for now. Take care. 

Grant

I also spotted one at Hiroshima sitting in the yard with a couple of EF67's, I would have like to have got a closer view of them but it wasn't really possible.

17818924183_428be7dfd2_z_d.jpg

bikkuri bahn

...explain to my how the four digit number followed by a letter identification system works?

I found a source that explains this succinctly, as the Wikipedia entry is dense and hard to understand.  Basically as follows:

1. Starting from the right of a four digit number, the ones and tens are for the type of train, 1~49 is for passenger trains, 50~99 is for freight trains.  Furthermore, within the passenger train range, 1~19 is used for limited expresses and expresses, 20~49 is for stopping trains- or rather trains that don't need a fare supplement i.e. including kaisoku. 

2. The hundreds is for the line section or region the service runs.

3. The thousands are for the service pattern as follows:

1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 - regularly scheduled trains

6000, 7000 - seasonal trains*

8000, 9000 - rinji trains*

*7000 and 9000 ranges are kept as spares

4. odd numbered trains are down trains, even numbers are up trains

http://www.jrtt.go.jp/01Organization/publicity/pdf/prm/no16-10.pdf

You may want to try the Musashino Line, which probably has more evenly spaced freight traffic. @Nishi Urawa and Shin Akitsu Stations:

Initially that ramp looked like quite a grade, but I guess it was just because of the zoom lens.  Either way I suppose they're not allowed to just coast down it :)

ote-m,

How goes it on catching an EF66? Shot one today at 1:14 at Hachonawate Station. It came down the Nambu Branch Line from Shitte. At this station, you are resigned to a head on shot as the trains pass in front of the platform. If you know one is coming from Shitte, it might be better to shoot it from platform 1 at Shitte Station. (that's the platform for trains heading towards Kawasaki Station) That is the farther platform from the freight line but you get a better side shot. That was the only EF66 I saw today but I did see two different EH200s, one of them twice and the usual EF65s and EF210s. From about 4:27 to 5:55, there was nothing so I went to Shitte where I shot five more from 5:25 to 7:00PM in fading light. 

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Grant,

I hung out at Fuchu-Honmachi for around half an hour the other day and saw a singular EF65 pass through northbound.  I Probably came at a bad time 3:30~4:30 pm ish?

Maybe I'll try what you did. If I understand you correctly, you did this on a Saturday? I just need to be more patient. Thanks for the tip! I'm planning to wake up early and head over to a level crossing of the Yamanote Freight Line south of Yoyogi on a weekday around 4:30~6:00 am and see if I can find my EF66 then.

I'm heading out for an adventure on the Chuo Line tomorrow so I'll post any photos I take then. Grant, do you have a favorite JRF loco? And any other favorite freight catching spots?

• Like 1

ote-m,

The best place to catch lots of freight trains is Omiya Station. But even there, EF66s aren't so common. Another place to shoot freight trains, albeit far away, is Kuroiso Station, either early in the morning or later in the afternoon. That is where they change over to the EH500 Kintaro heading north. A week day is better than on a usual Sunday, though. You can shoot them very close up as they stop and change diesel engines. When I use the Seishun 18 ticket and go to Aizu-Wakamatsu, I will spend and hour or so there. 

This is taken from outside of the station, I believe.

This is going South. The trains will change off at this platform.

This is the opposite platform going North.

You can stand next to them and shoot them decoupling and coupling the diesel engines to the freight trains.

Hachioji Station has some tank car trains parked on a siding and a hybrid diesel that is stationed there. But they don't seem to be active on Sundays.

Another place is Kofu Station. I've seen diesels parked next to the station on the weekends, They must be active early morning on the weekdays. 

I've seen a tank car train stop at a siding just west of Hino Station and waited about 15 minutes for it to pass Hino station. Interesting angle shot. 

EH200 Blue Thunder diesels seem to often pass thru and sometimes stop at Tachikawa Station. 

Wednesdays at about 4:00 might be a good time to shoot the Beitan Tanker train at Haijima Station. They switch from an EF65 or EF210s to a DE10, I think. 

There is an ap in Japanese for your smartphone that can tell you the movement of diesels. A Japanese railfan showed it to me yesterday. That way, you can know where to wait of the EF66s. Use Google Japan and search Kamotsu Channel. It doesn't work in English. There you can type in EF66 and search by rail line and station and date. But I don't know to use it yet.

Best wishes,

Grant

bikkuri bahn

Which stations do the Yamanote frieght line run between?

Officially between Shinagawa and Tabata, though the southern end the freights enter around Osaki.  The line is also used by Saikyo/Rinkai Line trains and Shonan Shinjuku Line trains.