When Hyperdia and the Printed Schedule Disagree...

TestudoToTetsudo

TestudoToTetsudo

I am helping my wife's nursing school classmate and her fiance plan their Honeymoon to Japan.  They want to travel from their hotel near Shinjuku to their hotel near Kyoto Station (which will hold luggage until check-in) on the morning of July 2.  Advising them to be on the Yamanote Line for Shinagawa by 7:15 at the latest to avoid the AM crush, they'd arrive into Shinagawa just too late to catch the 7:40 Hikari 503.

The JR Central PDF timetable shows an 8:10 AM Hikari, Train 463 to Kyoto, as did Hyperdia up until a few days ago.  Now Hyperdia does not show 463 operating anymore.  The column for Train 463 on the JR Tokai PDF timetable makes no reference to special days of operation, inferring that it runs daily.

Which schedule governs?  As I recall July 2 is nowhere near a holiday in Japan.  Does Train 463 run or not run?

As they may be leaving earlier than 7:15, I may tell them there are definitely Hikari trains at 7:40 and 8:40, and that there MIGHT be one at 8:10, to use their Japan Rail Passes with no seat reservation, check the boards when they get to Shinagawa, and board cars 1-5 on the Westward platform for unreserved seating.

TestudoToTetsudo

ekikara.jp shows Hikari 463 departing at 8:03, going as far as Okayama.  The 8:10 train is Nozomi 15 for Hakata.  Both run everyday.

http://ekikara.jp/newdata/ekijikoku/2301011/down1_13101011.htm

Thanks for the quick response!

They're boarding in Shinagawa, so the 8:10 Hikari departure time was for Shinagawa.  But it looks like 463 runs on the 2nd!

Edited by TestudoToTetsudo