Tomix track cleaning car

signalmanson

signalmanson

Many thanks katoftw.

I did search before posting but it didn't yield any results - maybe I missed something.

Thanks again.

signalmanson

I've attached the discs supplied with the 6432.

If anyone can identify I'd be grateful as I don't want to use an abrasive disc.

Vacuum works fine - very efficient and so quiet !

post-2931-0-57083900-1433783740_thumb.jpeg

John

Yes the soft brush works well and it will keep it moist with your desired track cleaner (I always just use plaing old 70-90% isopropyl alcohol). I usually procee the tomix car with a heki tank car I have that just puts lots of cleaner down on the rails on a dragged pad, the with the centerline roller wheel cleaner that really is a good scrubber,mthen the tomix to do the final buffing! Also run it around as the vacuum as well,magazine the stuff it collects. I also have small box car that I put a good strong rare earth magnet under and it finds very interesting slivers of metal now and then that other things don't pickup.

I'm not an abrasive cleaner fan as well, but of ISO and a rag or cleaner car do well!

Oh yes and wine or beer also helps, pour one for yourself as the cleaner train runs around!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 2

I've attached the discs supplied with the 6432.

If anyone can identify I'd be grateful as I don't want to use an abrasive disc.

The replacement disks are available as:

Tomix 6424 (pads only)

Tomix 6423 (spring loaded holders, brushes, etc - but not many pads)

I purchased a 6424 pack from HS back in February, but they seem to be out of stock now.
signalmanson

Thank you Jeff and mrp.

What I really wanted to establish is which of these pads is used for buffing.

My guess is that  it's  the smoother pad on the left side of the picture ( it appears grey ) rather than the pad on the right side which appears white and is more coarse ?

Sorry, misunderstood the question.

Personally, I only ever use the white cloth pads with cleaning fluid.

The grey pads seem to be an ultra fine grain abrasive paper - perhaps silicon carbide?  My track has never been dirty enough to have to resort to that.

Hi people. When my Tomix Track Cleaning Car (Tomix 6421) arrived, it came with one instruction page in English (I got mine 14 months ago more or less).

This could be a rarity or maybe all Tomix 6421 come with one. Nevertheless, I am uploading the instruction pages (English/Japanese) for anyone’s reference.

Notice that the instruction in English does not correlate with the figures shown of the Japanese instruction pages. Even with that, it is possible to make sense from all of it.

Edited by nxcale
  • Like 3

John

If you have a smart phone or pad you can also try the google translate app and take a picture of the Japanese and then you swipe the line you want translated. It works pretty good to get in context stuff from stuff like this ir import a picture from the web. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked on some tomytec diagrams!

I thought I had posted my atlas version of the cleaning car English instructions but can't find them in the forum. I'll dig it out and compare to nxscale's version, I'm guessing they are the same.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff.

Has your Tomix 5517 controller arrived yet ?

Mine arrived a few days ago but I had to order a track feeder as there isn't one supplied, and no Tomix supplier  in the U.K. ( well not one you'd notice ! )

So eagerly awaiting it's arrival !

John

John,

No I expect it any day now. I was so hoping it would come sat as we just had a jrm club meeting today to run trains and would have been fun to use!

Jeff

Todd,

Depends on what you need.

I've found the Tomix good vacuuming and buffing. I find the centerline roller cars are the best for cleaning the gunk off the rail.

They work well when it's harder to clean the track by hand as well.

They work well also with beer, wine or your favorite spirit, just set the cleaning train to running and sit back with your chose imbibe and watch it clean!

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff who makes the centreline roller cars?

Edit, don't worry, the great Google just told me. Unless of course, you can recommend a specific one.

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 1

Todd,

This is the one I have and I got it as one of our club members who has a giant kato unitrak layout in his basement that gets mega dirty used one to great results. I got mine for like $40 lurking ebay for a while.

You just cut up good old handiwipes wrapped sprung the rollers and a rubber band in the center. Douse with isopropanol or even goo gone orange oil for really thick muck.

I have an old heki tanker car that spreads cleaning fluid on the tracks that I run in front to keep fluid going.

I use the Tomix for the vacuum and then buff after the centrline.

Jeff