Kabuto Models; Details for your layout!

Kabutoni

While the new Big Henschel is awaiting another test production run, I've begun on the more scenic parts of my Dutch themed projects:

Low workman's house, Dutch

High workman's house, Dutch

These are two similar buildings, with a floor difference. These are basically the Dutch version of British terrace houses for workers and their families from around 1850 or so. Not high comfort and quite small, but still distinctive for almost every Dutch scene. I kept the buildings very plain for the sake of being able to add details later (on request).

Because the brick texture is pushing my CPU to the max, this size will be about the maximum of fully-brick textured buildings I'll be able to do. Buildings like these will also be released as half-relief for background usage.

Other buildings, like a few shops and other 2~3 floor residential buildings will be made later. All will be very plain looking and will have not much landmark value, just like the real thing :) Well, maybe one or two buildings will do, but that's it!
  • Like 2

i think you should buy a new GPU instead of new 3D printed structures lol :grin

It's a quite complicated model, so it's really more my own fault (working on a relatively fast Intel 7i Macbook). Buildings also shouldn't be any larger than this (especially in machine volume), since the price goes up quite rapidly when increasing the size.

I think it's good to work with half-relief buildings for now and leave put the part that isn't visible anyway to save machine space and thus reduce costs. I'll also look into making it a flat kit(apart from the roof) to reduce space even more.

You could either add the brick texture later or build in submodules and only assemble them when they are ready. A combined approach could be to create the walls without a brick texture in different modules, assemble them, then add the bricks. This way, only the final rendering/check step would be slow. Also, flat kits are always better in printing quality as you can rotate the walls to be parallel with the printing surface.

Working in stages is definitely a good idea. Make the basic product first and add textures later. 

To make it a bit interesting, I'm thinking of having these printed in high quality, rather than low quality (but cheap) nylon, and make silicone moulds out of them for simple resin casting (with windows possibly already casted). Buildings have a higher tolerance when there are a few visual mistakes, plus it makes it easy to reproduce, since these kind of buildings can be seen next to each other in the dozens.

Edited by Toni Babelony

And more problem solving:

High workman's house, Dutch (2)

I think this will produce the most desirable result for making a flat resin cast mould. I think I'm not quite done yet with the building, since there are details to be added, like wooden window panels (optional) and maybe some other odd optional details to put in the side frames. The layout can probably be made more compact as well.

P.s. because the locomotive is so lonely, I also am in the process of making a passenger carriage, based on a closed and rebuilt GWSM AB type:

GTW AB 1-10 (wip)

A very elegant looking coach, which might become problematic because of the thin window frames. However, because I'm getting into the casting thing sooner or later, I might make this a closed body kit to have it reproduced in clear resin to avoid the window frame issue. Let's see how this works out first.

Edited by Toni Babelony

Kabuto Models has decided to seize developing power units until further notice. Because 3D printing doesn't allow quick prototype making for this kind of purpose (minute click-in systems). However, development regarding powered units (locomotives, DMU, etc.) will continue! The Big Henschel will be remodeled to be able to fit a PowerMax! power unit next week and released, together with a few wagons (including wheelsets).

I would like to add that 3D printing for moving parts is a very special area or expertise and most successful small series power units use either cnc milled, stamped or etched metal parts. (in Europe etched copper and brass is available from the same manufacturers who make circuit boards and they can also do computer controlled drilling on those parts like on the pcb-s, but it's a bit expensive) The most classic method uses etched and drilled metal plates folded and then held together with small metric screws. (this method also allows power collection with a split chassis/split axle method using plastic spacer bars between the screws, while the drilling guarantees smooth holes for the gears)

For 3D printing, a layering techique can be used, where the power unit frame is assembled from multiple smaller parts printed in the right direction for the specific type of 3D printer to get the pixelation in a way that won't jam the moving parts. Click-in is also not really feasable so usually glue or extra screws are used to hold everything together. (most of my experience comes from 3d printed parts for small robots, but the problems are similar) Sadly most 3D printing materials are too fragile for post print drilling using 3d printed position marks.

More like adding a new idea that you might want to try. Imho considering that you are very good with 3D design, designing a foldable etched metal frame for the drive arrangement you already developed might be a good idea in the future. (you can also do some basic etching at home using a laser printed etching mask really cheap)

Edited by kvp

Etching is an option I'm considering once I have actually access to it. The earliest access would be through my small network of garage manufacturing model train friends, which might take a while to unfold. Home production is out of the question for now.

Kabuto Models is however looking at setting up a cooperative out-house production area with vacuum casting possiblities (from resin to metals), so if this becomes reality, expect more high-grade and more ambitious projects.

For now, products will have to remain 3D printed.

P.s. the next investment in production will probably be a Silhouette Cameo cutter plotter, so finally a real small production line can be started.

Edited by Toni Babelony

Kabuto Models just launched its new Nn3/Nm/N narrow (6.5mm gauge, 1/150 scale) lineup in the BETA phase! These versions haven't been printed yet, but have gone through a series of serious test printing and re-designing phases. These models should be perfect to use.

The current lineup consists of a Henschel boxcab steam tram locomotive, and two different freight wagons (open and closed), but will be expanded upon slowly with new rolling stock and motive power. The locomotive is intended to be powered with a SeaRails v.2 PowerMAX!

Trains (N-gauge, 6.5mm):

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

Big announcement from Shapeways! This coming week (7th until the 13th of March), all combined orders of +$25 will have free shipping! Make use of it while it lasts :D

• Like 1
Some pictures of the recently finished and released Big Henschel for 6.5mm gauge. Will fit a SeaRails PowerMAX! v.2 perfectly!

PHOTO 20160305 203121

PHOTO 20160305 203022

PHOTO 20160305 205709

PHOTO 20160307 092423

PHOTO 20160307 092530

• Like 1

...the next investment in production will probably be a Silhouette Cameo cutter plotter, so finally a real small production line can be started.

Toni what do you plan to us Sihouette for?

Cheers eh,

Todd

Toni what do you plan to us Sihouette for?

I want to get into creating buildings, but I need to see if the Silhouette is capable of making nice engravings for (for example) brick patterns. 

I would like to add, that it's a blade cutter, so it can't really do any milling. It's possible to make shallow cuts, but that will be more like incisions you can make with a hobby knife and not the milled out patterns we get out of cnc machines. The difference is that the cut width is always blade thick and material is not removed, just get pushed aside a bit in case of styrene sheets.

Personally i think the ideal machine could be a combination of a milling system and a blade cutter, so actually a 4 axis cnc with a horizontally rotatable head would be good. (common solution is to replace the milling motor head with a stepper mounted blade head) These cnc machines can usually also take hot melt 3D printing heads and laser cutters too. Imho the clean cuts of the blade combined with the milled on surfaces would give really nice results relatively fast. (the slow operation of many cnc machines come from the fact that good square cuts need tiny milling heads that can't move fast, while faster heads leave round corners) Of course a high precision, but fast multihead cnc can be rather expensive.

I figured as much from a cutter, that it's not a milling machine. However, there are options, like engraving pen heads for the Silhouette. This however means you have to do several (two at least) runs of the same sheet. Once for engraving and once for cutting. Instead, I'm also looking for engraving services, like Ponoko.com, where you can order sheet material to be cut/engraved/etched. I'm currently eyeballing styrene for building projects.

Also, here is a little video of the Big Henschel:

• Like 2

I'm not the best painter, but here is the result of a morning in the fumes!

PHOTO_20160309_112158.jpg

And a movie with it moving (it seems I have to do something about the rolling problem in the freight cars again...)

• Like 2

Your work is also similar to the "gamba de legn" tram

Do you think there is space for a decoder?

The Milano Gamba de Legn tram was a standard gauge railway as far as I can see. At least, I remember so from visiting the Leonardo da Vinci museum some five years ago or so. My model is based on narrow gauge, but I think it can also fit a 9mm version of the PowerMAX inside. I don't own one, so I can't say for sure though...

I'm not sure if you can fit a decoder inside, since I have absolutely no idea about the sizes available. You might have to make some adjustments to the boiler frame to have the wires come through. There is however space in front of the smoke box where you might be able to place a decoder:

PHOTO_20160310_162021.jpg

• Like 1

Great job Tony! Such a sweet little runner and paint scheme looks very good. Amazing little motor unit

Thank you! These narrow gauge steam trams are crazy charming, so I think I'll create more and more soon. I'm very happy with the motor unit. It's more amazing that any model train related purchase I've made so far.

On making more. Soon, I'm getting the newly printed freight wagons (six different designs) in and I've ordered the first passenger car from Shapeways! I hope it'll work out, as the buffers might move too far out in the curves.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_10_at_16_39_22.png

• Like 1

The Milano Gamba de Legn tram was a standard gauge railway as far as I can see. At least, I remember so from visiting the Leonardo da Vinci museum some five years ago or so. My model is based on narrow gauge, but I think it can also fit a 9mm version of the PowerMAX inside. I don't own one, so I can't say for sure though...

I'm not sure if you can fit a decoder inside, since I have absolutely no idea about the sizes available. You might have to make some adjustments to the boiler frame to have the wires come through. There is however space in front of the smoke box where you might be able to place a decoder:

You are right the "Gamba de Legn" is standard gauge, but it really looks like your, I'll check the PowerMax motor for 9mm gauge, it looks tempting now :)

• Like 1