JR Kyushu near collision on Nagasaki Main Line

I'm missing something here.... if control gave the proceed order then they would've expected that the points were set for a pass, not a head-on.

Wouldn't the process of setting the points reported an error at control if they didn't switch correctly?

I assume we're in remote territory (hence the visual/radio rail location reporting) and therefore they might only be able to see the signals as they've tried to set them and not what they are actually set to?

Same goes for the points.

edit: just read Bikkuri's post, turns out that the driver of the train didn't give control enough time to shift the point.

I would've thought that safeworking would've meant that the point was never in the state it was; set for collision. if a train is coming in to the station then the points should always be set to catch or pass?

Edited by stevenh

When control gives a driver authority to proceed on Queensland Rail he has to confirm the position of the train and that the road the proceed authority applies to is set and clear then get the whole thing confirmed, double checked and signed off by the supervisor, the whole procedure takes at least five minutes in the simplest of cases when there are no opposing trains involved.  Only then is the authority given to the driver who has to repeat it back correctly to control before it is considered complete and the driver is able to proceed.

What appears to have happened here seems rather informal operating procedure to me in comparison to the way things are usually done in Japan.

• Like 2