What city is this?

velotrain

velotrain

gallery_941_135_446843.jpg

The text with the photo translates as:

Sumiyoshi is a cross station of Uemachisen and Hankaisen, there is a cross between the tram. Railway is not early in Japan where intersect at plane.

What are they trying to say with the second sentence?  That level crossings are a later development?

Besides the crossing, there had been a crossover between the lines, but I can't tell if it is still operable or not.

It looks to be an industrial area of the city.  I'm interested in finding this location with satellite view, but the city name is all I need.

Another question:  what words do the Japanese use to describe tram yards / company HQ, etc. - either English or kanji.

velotrain

After posting, I thought I'd try a map search for Sumiyoshi, although was skeptical as I thought I'd get a half-dozen different locations.  However, I did find it in Osaka.

If anyone is familiar with the situation, I'm curious how the tracks connecting the two lines are used?  I see that one line ends at a railway station one stop away.

There may be other similar situations, but I think this is the most complex tram junction I've yet seen in Japan.

In the original photo, I saw the ends of rail sections painted yellow, so thought maybe the crossover was no longer in use.  In sat view, I can see that they're just the ends of the guard rails, and this is done with all track not in the street.

This is near the old tram terminal. Originally there were two lines, one going straight across from north to south and another one terminating at the station near this crossing. Some trams continued on the north-south line instead of going to the terminal. Recently all trams continue and the old terminal (a bit south west from here) is mostly unused. If you want to find a more complex tram system in Japan, try Hiroshima.

velotrain

Viktor - was the old tram terminal where the SW line terminates at the Nankai main line Sumiyoshitaisha station?

Thanks for the link Kitayama.

Viktor - was the old tram terminal where the SW line terminates at the Nankai main line Sumiyoshitaisha station?

Thanks for the link Kitayama.

Yes, the old terminal, currently almost unused, is Sumiyoshikoen in front of Nankai Sumiyoshitaisha.

was the old tram terminal where the SW line terminates at the Nankai main line Sumiyoshitaisha station?

Yes. Afaik lately it's only used for storing trams and passengers must walk from the station to a new stop a block east from there, since this way they can board trams to all three directions.