What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

Another package from RG-Rokko. 

Tomix containers

3301, 3302, 3303, 3304, 3305, 3306, and 3185. I wish I procure one more box of 3302 as the UT11K container is just beautiful!

Tomix 98832 JR Freight Car Type CHIKI 5500 (JR West Japan Ver.) 12 Cars Set 

Tomix 7175 EF65-1000 (EF65-1124 / Twilight Express / gray truck) - to go with 98832, though I realized that I have the previous version...

Tomix 2249 JR DD200 - probably the highlight of this package, though I have some mixed emotions on this

Tomytec 東京都交通局8900形 Tokyo Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation Type 8900, Blue and Rose Red - continuing my Tomytec Tram collection

Tomytec 阿佐海岸鉄道 Asa Coast Railway DMV-932 `Sudachi no Kaze`

Kato 10-213 Train Set Case D 

Let's talk about the DD200 that finally appeared...

1. The nice red color is definitely the sell point. I feel Tomix painted it well.

2. The fences actually look better in person compared to in the photos. I felt it was too thick in the photos, but it looked good on my hand.

3. Tomix used a nice way to solve the issue of mounting so many fences by molding them into one piece for each side. But in this way, the side of the locomotive in white color is actually the color of the plastic, not painted. 

3. There's some bleeding of paints between the silver part(roof) and the red part, but okay.

4. For some reason, small components (not those you have to install by yourself) went off easily, including the antenna, the cover or step on each side of the the exits. Be careful when you open the case. I did not even know one of the steps went off then I saw one piece on my desk after I finish unpacking all the models. Then that piece flew onto the floor and blended into the gray carpet...It took me like an hour to find it.

0Image (2) (1).jpg

0Image (3) (1).jpg

0Image (4) (1).jpg

0Image (6) (1).jpg

0Image (7).jpg

• Like 9
beakaboy
4 hours ago, MD12 said:

Let's talk about the DD200 that finally appeared...

1. The nice red color is definitely the sell point. I feel Tomix painted it well.

2. The fences actually look better in person compared to in the photos. I felt it was too thick in the photos, but it looked good on my hand.

3. Tomix used a nice way to solve the issue of mounting so many fences by molding them into one piece for each side. But in this way, the side of the locomotive in white color is actually the color of the plastic, not painted. 

3. There's some bleeding of paints between the silver part(roof) and the red part, but okay.

4. For some reason, small components (not those you have to install by yourself) went off easily, including the antenna, the cover or step on each side of the the exits. Be careful when you open the case. I did not even know one of the steps went off then I saw one piece on my desk after I finish unpacking all the models. Then that piece flew onto the floor and blended into the gray carpet...It took me like an hour to find it.

Hi, if you get a moment would appreciate a few measurements. The length of chassis only(not body), width of long hood ,  distance between  centre of the bogies and actual width of a bogie. cheers John

MD12 nice haul from RG, The locomotive is pretty cool as well I think I may want to purchase one some day. Thanks for the heads up on the things you like and should look out for when getting a TOMIX DD200.

• Like 1
Kamome

Nice Photos @MD12  I too was quite impressed with the Tomix DD200 upon seeing it so I added one into my June Ami order. The MA Shiki 801 and load has been delayed until July and I didn't want to lose out or pay standard shipping for just a few UT11 tank-tainers.

I think Tomix have done a very good job with the DD200 from what I saw although as I'm still waiting for shipping notification for my penultimate purchase order from Ami Ami, (Shiki and containers were going to be the last in June as their level of service has been declining for a while) I shall reserve judgement until said items arrive but your images add to the excitement. Probably need some more Koki now.

• Like 1
maihama eki

Did anyone else buy these figures from Takeda?  

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/11087026

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/11087027

It seems they are 3D printed in full color from 3D scans of actual people/models. I was excited to see what they looked like. I'm always looking for more realistic figures to populate my n-scale worlds.

IMG_7713.thumb.jpg.40b17340aaf6d7546f7b176a00d4b563.jpg

They look pretty promising from a distance - although they have a sort of soft look to them - like a photo of your friend on Instagram that has been run through a software filter too much.

IMG_7714.thumb.jpg.61fbcfa4cd2a68050582cd1276b3d744.jpg

Up close they have a slightly shiny clear outer layer on them that makes them look a bit like a ghostly apparition. 

IMG_7715.thumb.jpg.d15861bdb52aa23af8a5be2e23081a01.jpg

IMG_7716.thumb.jpg.16679b6c246a4ccde42daa7ec91bd8d0.jpg

Did anyone else buy them? What do you think of them?

It's interesting to watch the world of 3D printing progress. It's coming along pretty quickly.

• Like 8
26 minutes ago, maihama eki said:

anyone else buy them? What do you think of them?

When I learned about them I just had to get them for my shop. Needless to say when they arrived I had to take some for myself.

I really like them, but my biggest problem with them is the ghostly appearance, as you mentioned. I dont dislike it, but it it makes it hard to put them together with other figures, they REALLY stand out like this.

They are awesome if you carefully place them separate, I plan to use them for interesting scenes or diorama, to keep them separated from others, that usually does the trick to the eye of the viewer.

Stephan

• Like 2
cteno4
1 minute ago, Wolf said:

the ghostly appearance

Exactly what my first impression was for the pictures. I fuessing they are 3d inkjet printing on the portrait and that giving it that sort of disjointed from the figure ghostly feeling.

ive wondered when 3d printing and poser software would make it to 1/150 scale. I’ve seen a few at 1/144 that looked pretty good. But still need painting.

cheers,

jeff

Kamome

This is becoming semi-normal with British 00. Accurascale now sell 00 scale crews for their locomotives which use 3D scans rather than painted figures. There are also companies that will scan you and produce models for use in your locos or on your layout. 

I saw these N scale ones in Tam Tam at the weekend and I was undecided on them. I guess the challenge is blending them with the generally unrealistic colours, textures and thicknesses that most model scenery comes in. Maybe some good weathering or effective use of paper textures would help blend tones better. More traditional figures would surely look mannequin-esque if in the same locale so considered placement is a must unless you intend on only using these. Not sure that the more traditional figures would look correct proportionally either.  I think all other scenery textures would have to be brought up to the same level. 

This is definitely a step up thanks to technology and your images @maihama ekiactually sell them to me more than my first impressions. Definitely interested in seeing some testing at how best to implement them @Wolf

Lazertron

Besides some buildings, also rolling material from four different companies found its way to me today. 

today.JPG

• Like 9
MeTheSwede
4 hours ago, maihama eki said:

Did anyone else buy these figures from Takeda? 

I looked at them in person when I was in Japan. They look great and is probably the future, but I didn't buy them, since I could immediately tell they won't go well together with other existing figures. Also the range of figures is quite limited, as in no old people, no children, no people in working clothes, no one with a shopping bag or backpack. I think they mostly look like they're people from a fashion magazine or something. Maybe they are?

cteno4

The clothes look ok it’s the faces that are sort of ghost like, almost like a hologram floating above the body.

jeff

• Haha 2
cteno4

So I broke down a week ago or so and bought a Z shorty series 0 set and the pho series 0 for fun. Going to make a mini loop to take to show and come out a tiny box!

jeff

• Like 12
Dillon
56 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

So I broke down a week ago or so and bought a Z shorty series 0 set and the pho series 0 for fun. Going to make a mini loop to take to show and come out a tiny box!

jeff

That is an interesting layout, the tiny layout looks fun!

Posted (edited)

Ordered June 17 from Hobby Search, arrived today.  $19.08 extra GST/PST tax.

• Tomytec 020-3 Platform Expansion Set 3
  • Tomytec 080-3 Contemporary Town Houses D3
  • Tomytec 108-2 Dry Cleaners and In-Town Restaurant
  • Tomtec 4003 Platform Extension Set One Sided
  • Kato 23-136 Local Line Station Parts Set
  • Tomix 98523 JR KIHA 183 6000 Japanese Style Saloon Car (3 car set)
  • Kato 10-212 Train Set Case for my KIHA 58 3 car set that came with the Kato 10-023 Starter Set

The platform items are for converting/expanding my Tomix 4002 Wooden Station so it can work on the 2 tracks of my in-progress T Track station module and handle 2-3 car trains rather than the 1 the station comes with.  The other buildings will be placed on other modules.  Can't remember why I bought the 183, I guess I just liked the look of it 😁

Buildings.jpg

Tomix 98523 1.jpg

Tomix 98523 2.jpg

Tomix 98523 3.jpg

Kato 10-212.jpg

Edited by RS18U
  • Like 5
SL58654号

Well, happy day, a few more old issues of Tetsudō Mokei Shumi arrived today, and the models and layouts inside of them are no less inspiring for me to get out of my sluggish phase of my own layout endeavor. Above is a page from my 100 years of JNR Rolling Stock bible.

a1774f31-cf3b-4f32-94a7-7b06778e3da7.thumb.jpeg.2adafe1f263bc7fe9f881301285d5eaa.jpegd9a4819d-0f93-4cc4-9b7b-80e8db6d510b.thumb.jpeg.064d649d9cafb94d7f6319ce2eaaa5eb.jpeg

This Aug 2010 issue of とれいん I've had for quite some time, but I wanted to share it as I'm fond of this issue containing articles on live steam as well as the Ffestiniog Railway. It was given to me as a gift from my friends at the Rikkyo University Railway Club during my attendance there in my study abroad period in Japan. 🇯🇵

• Like 6
Tony Galiani

@N-Osoi - Funny - I did the same thing - though without the family contacts.  Thought I would do a test run with the proxy service for the Minature-A products.  The prices were very favorable compared to those I have been seeing for Sankei items.  So even with the proxy charges the cost seemed reasonable to me.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1
On 7/2/2024 at 9:32 PM, beakaboy said:

Hi, if you get a moment would appreciate a few measurements. The length of chassis only(not body), width of long hood ,  distance between  centre of the bogies and actual width of a bogie. cheers John

Not sure exactly what you want but I took some more pics. Each grid is 1mm.

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

• Like 5
Just now, MD12 said:

Another photo as the previous reply said yhe photo size was too large.
And RG sent me another email telling me that the grey steps can easily come off - I told them I just experienced that lol

IMG_3689.jpg

TOMIX DD200-0.png

• Like 5
Posted (edited)

Today I received another package from RG-ROKKO, Excuse the not so great pic if you want a better pic of something let me know. 

Toyota Hiace Super Long Community Bus (4 Pieces) (Model Train)

GreenMax J.R. Series 103 Kansai Type MOHA103, 102 (Early Type, Olive Green) Two Car Kit (2-Car, Pre-Colored Kit)

KATO DioTown (N) Figure : Delivery Service

GreenMax J.R. Series 103 Kansai Type MOHA103, 102 (Early Type, Orange) Two Car Kit (2-Car, Pre-Colored Kit)

Current Collector Wheels (Pivot Power Supply) (Silver) (for 2-Car)

TOMIX DD200 Locomotive

GREENMAX 8638 Current Collector Wheels (Pivot Power Supply) (Silver) (for 2-Car)

KATO 8075-1G Circuit board for 107 Koki

KATO 8075-3 107 Koki w/LEDs

TMU-TMC100 Motorized chassis 

Popondetta 1606 Urethane for Vehicle Case, 11 Dual Purpose PE Vehicle Storage Foam, Gray, 1606 (the foam will not fit Kato bookcases)

20240705_214132.jpg

Edited by bc6
  • Like 7
Kamome

My DD200 and UT11K tank containers finally showed up. I have converted the loco coupler to a Kato knuckle as I usually do. 

The model is a little flimsy. The white hand rails along the side are held in by pegs along the white edging and pop out quite easily. Any handling tends to move something so certainly better to sit on a layout rather than be constantly put in and out of its box. I already lost the radio antenna from the cab while removing the model so proceeded to glue it in along with the horns that need fitting. I ended up removing the cab and body sections and adding small amounts of extra thin adhesive to the inside pegs of the accessories. Number boards too. Just need a steady hand. 

The coupler changes are a little different. The whole front platform pops off the model, due to the headlight boxes. There’s definitely a little more a**e clenching required as you remove parts due to everything feeling on the verge of snapping. You then need to drop out the coupler housing thanks to 2 thin side clips. All the parts have a reasonably amount of flex but you have to be extra gentle. 

It is a nice model though. There’s still the age old Tomix issue of rear headlight pulsing. All of my smaller Tomix locos do this from time to time. 

IMG_3753.jpeg

• Like 7
cteno4
3 hours ago, Kamome said:

It is a nice model though. There’s still the age old Tomix issue of rear headlight pulsing. All of my smaller Tomix locos do this from time to time.

Are these LEDs? If so may a small cap could help mute the pulsing.

jeff

Kamome
Posted (edited)

Warning - Little knowledge of electrics but:

Yes all LEDs. Think it’s a back EMF /PWM issue. My Tomix locos seem much more susceptible to rear headlight flashes due to small amounts of reverse polarity being generated. 

Edited by Kamome