What did you order or the post deliver? (Japanese N Gauge)

bc6

SwallowAngel

Well, I finally overcame my laziness and finally took some pictures of my recent collection additions. Here a quick rundown:

Locomotives:

• TOMIX 2004 C57-1: Courtesy of one kind forum member I got my hands on the lady and my first TOMIX steamer. Very happy with the model, even though it did need a service before it ran smoothly and quietly
  • KATO 2016-8 D51 200: I got this loco together with the next two from RG Rokko recently. This is my first D51 and freight loco, so definetly quite the contrast to my passenger engines in terms of speed.
  • KATO 2020-2 C56 160: Once again a bit of a contrast compared to my C62's and C57's in my fleet. Smooth and quiet runner, however I did find that the loco tends to stutter on my layout. It did get better after a while but I'd guess my layout is at fault. Time to check connections between rails...
  • KATO 3049-9 EF58 150: My first non-SL model (apart from my Shinkansen and Shorties) and MAN was I blown away by it. The finish is quite nice, though I can't compare it to the regular EL finish. The thing that amazed me however was the weight and the flywheel action in the loco. Coming from SLs I was kinda dumbfounded. Only slight complaint I have is that the loco tends to be a tad noisy, though since my Shinkansen sounds quite similar and my SLs are next to silent I am guessing that's how it simply is. I also added metal grab bars from TAVASA to the front, since the plastic ones KATO provides look. to put it nicely, bad.

locos.thumb.jpg.f34f5560421c7f68c1b9dd5fc1fb6022.jpg

Rolling Stock:

As much as I love my locomotives, I do tend to neglect my rolling stock department a bit 😅 which is why I decided to get some more diverse rolling stock to not have an all-brown fleet of coaches.

• KATO 5002 ORO 31 & 5003 OHANI 30: On my journeys though Suruga-Ya's offerings I stumbled upon these two beauties. While a bit odd on their own, I also own two Oha 30 coaches which create a nice early Showa era train. Looks great behind my KATO C50 and serves nicely as a substitue to the "proper" coach set KAto released alongside the C50
  • KATO 8046-1 YO 5000; 8056 WAMU 70000; 8027-1 TORA 45000: My first set of freight cars I got. Overall nice additions to my collection, even though it is quite small. Goes nicely with my C50 on mixed-traffic consists with another brown coach. (Future note to myself: Get more freight 😛)
  • KATO 10-1893 MAITE 49 JR West and Old Passenger Car: While I didn't get the "appropriate" brown EF58, I still wanted this set, since it was used on the early SL Yamaguchi services and would go together with my new locos. Nice addition and small quality-of-life improvements on the coaches, so definetly a set worth getting IMO
  • KATO 10-1820 Series 12 JR West Set: A set I initially wanted to pass on, since I didn't care too much about excursion trains. However, since this goes pretty darn nicely with the previous set, I decided to get this one anyhow. My first "blue" coaches, I was quite impressed at how differently they feel compared to my brown coaches. Pairs nicely with a whole host of locos and coaches I got including my SLs and my Umekouji C62 2. While not exactly prototypical, I enjoy running it with EF58 150 to create a mock blue train. (Another note to myseldf: Get a proper Blue Train with an EF66)

20240610_115859.thumb.jpg.e33fd31205cbe7d6678320f5b1317f11.jpg

Shorties  (yay!!)

Well, it's shorties: Addictive and cute. What is there more to say? Found these three all for MSRP new and sealed, so how could I have said no to that? 🫠

E231: While not a "matching" set, I have some spares lying around to make them virtually identical. I never rode or saw these in person, but I wanted more commuter stock in my fleet and a Yamanote train is a must for that.

Tokyu Tram 7000 + 7500: While I am not particularly interested in Trams, I was in need of one for my layout. While KATO's new MyTram Classic would have sufficed, I wanted to have something a bit more japanese. So finding these (+ a KATO chassis) filled the tram-shaped hole in my collection.

20240610_115829.thumb.jpg.5e7ac5f2bc095786783af87215f55a6b.jpg

This is it for now. I could add all the parts I got, but that would make this post even longer. So to end this, a quick shot of my "on theme" collection. The theme is quite easy to guess I think:

20240610_120729.thumb.jpg.b1536fa8fdd79588ec04b34ff0bed23c.jpg

• Like 13
SL58654号

More cool stuff came in the mail today. I love Japanese used bookstores and I love old issues of "とれいん" .

• Nov 1980
  • Dec 1980
  • June 1983

I have four issues now (one a more recent issue, April 2009 not shown here), and they all have delightful assortments of international railways, both real and model.

448142063_2138070253227097_5054214691484810836_n.jpg

Edited by SL58654号
  • Like 6
SL58654号
19 hours ago, SwallowAngel said:

This is it for now. I could add all the parts I got, but that would make this post even longer. So to end this, a quick shot of my "on theme" collection. The theme is quite easy to guess I think:

20240610_120729.thumb.jpg.b1536fa8fdd79588ec04b34ff0bed23c.jpg

Something tells me you're trying to create the Kyoto Railway Museum, and I like it. 
I have all of the items shown here myself. I'm aiming to soon obtain the KATO 8630 wasp-stripe variant of their 8620. It'll cost an arm and a leg, but that's how "serious" of a rail fan I guess I am. 

• Like 2
ED75-775

Some more low-level purchases today, courtesy of Hobbyland Pochi and Popondetta Hakata:

image.thumb.jpg.e0ac3d0c236b39e435d350b94f50637d.jpg

One Kato crossing/re-railer track (with bonus straight) from HLP, and another two KoKi’s and some 48A-3000 containers from Popondetta. Not a bad little haul, even if Book Off Hakata and Mandarake Hakata almost tempted me a few times.

@SwallowAngel given that EF58 150 ran in mainline excursion service for a while, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are photos out there of it with the 12-series set. Definitely all three of your Kyoto-based steam locomotives have pulled them, usually on the SL Kitabiwako when that was running.

@SL58654号 interesting, but just curious who’ll sell you that customised locomotive as the Kato Store Kyoto lists it as sold out on their website. I don’t recall seeing any there in 2023 either. If it’s customised locomotives you want, you can have anything as long as it’s either a C11, C57 or D51, and there are at least two Kyushu C11’s in that assortment that might look good on your layout!

Although Kato lists the customised 8630 as being not being completely true to prototype, for bonus nerd points the locomotive didn’t gain its current cab until August or September 1972 when it was being overhauled at the Tsuchizaki workshops in Akita for the Umekoji Locomotive Museum. Prior to that it had the S-shape ‘Otoji’ running board and cab. Link to the locomotive’s service career here, with thanks to @Yavaris Forge for putting me into that site.

Alastair

• Like 5
SwallowAngel
3 hours ago, SL58654号 said:

Something tells me you're trying to create the Kyoto Railway Museum, and I like it. 

Bingo! To be more exact I am trying to get one of every loco (in the  same-ish condition) I have seen on my travels last year (so mostly Nagoya Maglev and Kyoto Museum stuff). Kinda puts a good restriction on my collection habit 😅. I really would love more museum loco models. Since TOMIX produced both a C55 and C58 I am kinda hoping for them to release C55 1 and C58 1 so I can add them to my collection...

@ED75-775 You are quite right, EF58 150 was sometimes seen with 12 series coaches however this exact combo never ran in real life. EF58 150 only gained it's current colors in 2011 when it was preserved at Umekouji. Before that it was painted brown for excursion trains where it indeed pull the 12 Series set in JR West spec. It was painted blue before in regular service where it ran with 12 series consists. Problem is though that those are JNR spec, making my JR West 12 series consist "unprototypical". So yeah, close enough is good enough for me 😛

• Like 4

Model RR Haul from a Recent Japan Visit.

During my latest four-week sightseeing tour of Tohoku and Hokkaido this May - June, I was able to fit in a few detours to visit model RR stores, five stores to be exact, including KATO Hobby Center, Yodobashi Akiba, TamTam Sapporo, Popondetta Sapporo, and HobbyOff Sapporo. And, when I couldn’t find my shopping list items in these brick-and-mortars, I ordered them on-line from RG Rokko and PlazaJapan, timed so they would be delivered and waiting for me when I got back to California.  This latest haul will take me awhile to set up and incorporate into my layout...  😃

Locomotives:

·       KATO C11 ※Re-release 2021: I wanted to add an SL tank engine to my fleet of SL's and had been eyeing this model for a while. Unfortunately, the Kato Hobby Center clerk told me “we just sold our last one” when I visited them in Tokyo, so I ordered this from RG Rokko for ¥8,800, a great price (compared to ¥12,100 at KATO Hobby Center) even if you factor in FedEx delivery.

·       KATO EF58 150 (3049-1): While I prefer the blue version of my EF58 Miyahara (3049-2), since I saw the brown type (EF58 61) similar to this at the Railway Museum in Omiya, I had to get one, from TamTam Sapporo for ¥6,000.

·       KATO EF56 (3070-2): The old style with platforms on either end is very cool, so I had to get this from RG Rokko ¥6,075.

·       KATO ED75-1000 early model (3075-4): I wanted a red locomotive as my wife says my collection is a bit drab, so ordered this one from RG Rokko for ¥6,150.  Not exactly transition-era, but good for domestic tranquility. This model is slightly duller red than the shiny cherry red ED75 775 “Akebono” I spotted the at the Omiya RR Museum.

IMG_1559.thumb.jpg.2c67154c7e310d21d71864d9cc6cc40c.jpg

Passenger Car Sets:

·       KATO Kumoha 52 Iida Line 4 Car Set (10-1764): I liked the retro styling of this set and was available at TamTam Sapporo for ¥14,300.

·       KATO 113 Series Shonan Train 4 Car Set (10-808): I think this is a train I had ridden back in the day when I lived in Nishinomiya, so I’ve had this on my buy list for a while. But the set has been out of stock online for awhile, so when I saw this available at a HobbyOff store in Sapporo (the one near the Beer Museum which I just happened to spot from the bus I was on and had to make a sudden unplanned exit at the next stop to go visit!). I've never acquired a “previously owned” anything, but the sales clerk assured me that the set was in good working order, and the ¥5,500 price tag was less than half of a set in new condition, even if available, so the risk to buy was minimal. Happy to report that the set runs fine on my layout at home.

IMG_1555.thumb.jpg.d1866286d7201cbe6431e2bde07d2f15.jpg

Freight Cars: I don’t do freight, but when my friends suggested that I needed to add a beer brewery spur to my layout, I had to go look for some tank and/or refrigerator cars that could pass for my transition era layout. 

·       MICROACE Moki6610 Sapporo Beer Tank Car (A6850): Since I was in Sapporo at the time, this Sapporo Beer tank car was a must buy. ¥2,640 from Popondetta Sapporo.

·       TOMIX Freight Private Owner Tank Car (8744): This COULD be my personal beer tank car. Bought at KATO Hobby Center for ¥???

·       TOMIX Box Car (98723): This COULD be a Refrigerated Beer box car. ¥1,320 from Popondetta Sapporo.

·       KATO Kokifu 10000 Freight Container (8003): Bought this because it was too cheap to pass up at ¥660 at Popondetta Sapporo.  (Not a keeper: upon testing this car on my layout, it proved to be the only inferior product of my haul as it would not roll easily and the only car to derail on the layout.)

·       TOMIX JNR Guard Van Type Y08000 (2702): A cute little vintage JNR caboose with tail lights to complete my beer wagon. Bought at KATO Hobby Center for ¥???

IMG_1562.thumb.jpg.0795721dd4015cdf93749c4e159bf1f8.jpg

Accessories:

·       Vintage Structures: It’s difficult to find Showa-era structures on-line, so when I found them in stores here, I purchased a number of houses, stores, warehouses, etc. of the era, mostly by Tomytec.  BTW, I was asking KATO Hobby Center staff why their vintage houses were not available for sale. He thought that it had something to do with the difficult relationship between Japan and China at the moment.

·       Vintage Buses: These are also hard-to-find on-line, but plentiful in stores here; ended getting four vintage buses.

·       People and Animals: Just a few of these really add life to the layout, and my wife likes them too, so why not?

·       KATO Sound Box and Cards: I‘m still sitting on the fence when it comes to converting my DC layout to DCC, so at least for the time being (and for under $200 for the analog sound box and two cards: D51 and 485), I decided to see if the sound system was worth the effort.  Happy to report, the sounds add a lot of fun to the experience!  Sound box from PlazaJapan ¥27,590, sound cards from Popondetta Sapporo and PlazaJapan ~¥2,400 each.

·       Etc. etc.: tracks, turnouts, couplers, switches, connectors … etc. etc.

I had to end my buying spree since our two extra luggages we brought were already full between my wife's and my purchases    😃!

Edited by Mutro
  • Like 10

Only little bits and pieces this time, but I’m moving on to Kyoto tomorrow so this’ll have to be quick:

image.thumb.jpg.5fa43539d0ff462200386582f4de4659.jpg

I picked up the Tomix 8752 KoKi 200 flats yesterday at Nikkyosha Models, while the 3164 containers and Kato brake wheels came from Popondetta Hakata today. ISO tank containers are expensive particularly when you’ve only got Popondetta’s own range of such items to choose from, but these 20 foot containers were a bit more manageable.

The brake wheels were needed because I had quite the ‘fun’ time this morning trying to set the brake wheels on the 8752 set. I eventually got one on during a running session at Popondetta, but the other and the 2759 I snagged in Akihabara have now got Kato brake wheels instead. Note to self: have a pin vice handy next time, just in case.

Not sure I’ll be in a hurry to start buying things in Kyoto or Osaka tomorrow, but who knows…?

Alastair

• Like 5

What a haul! Two new books in one day. I came home from work and happily read this other back issue of "Train" as well as RM library No. 24 "Imported Electric Locomotives of the Kokutestu". I was excited to receive this as I sampled a copy that @ED75-775 had in hand when he visited me. 

S__67960837.thumb.jpg.8d4913722848155974cd933d11dd52a5.jpg

And speaking of his visit, this is what he kindly gave me. An SL photo album book and Cavalcade of New Zealand Locomotives. I'm very happy to finally own this one as it's still considered the Bible of railway engines in New Zealand. A lot of Baldwin engines were built for that nation which I strongly admire. 

S__67960835.thumb.jpg.c6f6d23732de1c90eba72a299b31340c.jpg

A glimpse at the color plate. The rest is black and white, but it's well illustrated.

S__67960838.thumb.jpg.5955fa12f8eb560ee34098bccb2de7f7.jpg

What can I say but, thank you... Thank you @ED75-775

S__67960839.thumb.jpg.9eb2e45c7609291e9f048a9dac186013.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welp, can’t help myself I guess. I got carried away, and all because of these two:

image.thumb.jpg.d0e1dacd1ebf1266b50fe1771e5aba38.jpg

Hobbyland Pochi had to tempt me with a Kato 2016-3 D51 for ¥12,000 and a 2026-1 C59 for ¥15,000. The latter happens to be missing the pickup bridge wires from its drawbar, but it looks like I may be able to potentially perform a swap with a C57 drawbar. We’ll see. The D51 on the other hand looks virtually new even though it’s ten years old! It also needs proper spoke wheels which I have back home in my parts box.

The track on the other hand was only ¥440 at Popondetta Kyoto Æon Mall. All are re-railer straights, one modern concrete one and three classic wooden ones. Useful to have!

Alastair

• Like 4
4 hours ago, ED75-775 said:

looks like I may be able to potentially perform a swap with a C57 drawbar

Would probably work with some light mods (if any at all), though it should be noted that the C59 drawbars seem to be slightly different compared to the C57s.

They have different part numbers (C59: Z02-2245 vs C57: Z02-2489). According to Toyosawa-san's website the drawbar is slightly longer, so some slight modification might be needed.

An exposed copper wire might be worth a shot considering the drawbar is only missing that. Would probably be somewhat cheaper aswell, assuming you don't have spare drawbars already

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ED75-775 said:

Hobbyland Pochi had to tempt me with a Kato 2016-3 D51 for ¥12,000 and a 2026-1 C59 for ¥15,000

Wow. Hobbyland Pochi pricing! Hopefully with the weak Yen, these come out at a more reasonable price but the C59 probably won’t be repeated for some time.  To be honest I’ve seen a lot higher prices for these things so I think you did pretty well. 

As for repairs, sounds like copper wire is all you’ll need. Just need to use your existing one to copy the shape. Good that you have the spoke wheels to replace. All older, pre 2016 or so SLs and briwn JNR ELs had these “non-spoked” spokes wheels. 

• Like 1

I’ve certainly noticed at different points, and HLP aren’t the only ones to do this, but certain models are offered second-hand at above what they would they were worth when brand new. I can also admit that it’s not always the harder to find models in that category either!

Yes, these two weren’t too bad as median price for a C59 seems to be around ¥16,500 from the majority I saw today in Denden Town. There was one at Popondetta Osaka Denden Town for ¥14,300 which looked semi-alright but I left it there as I’ve spent too much time trying to revive the Japanese economy (!). Ditto a Hokkaido Giesl-ejector D51 which was asking ¥22,000 at HLP. New price was (and will be at time of rerun) ¥14,300… sorry, but no thanks!

Anyway, since I have apparently made more sensible financial decisions today, the only thing I came away with was a lonely Kato 8042. At ¥3,300 with case and all the bits (now installed by me) it’s not bad! Plus I picked up a Hasegawa kit for a hobby colleague.

image.thumb.jpg.3f493f37f8b3f1713905c1d084b90716.jpg

Alastair

Edited by ED75-775

Good find. You don’t see these very much (Kamioka Mining sulphuric acid tanks) as I think they were produced a good 20 years ago. I have a couple I got from ebay when I lived in the UK. 

Kamioka Mining ceased mining operations (zinc and lead)in 2001 so I guess these things are not seen anymore hence why they’ve not been reproduced. 

• Like 1

@Kamome wanted a graphic picture of the damage I’ve committed to my wallet, and here it is:

IMG_0568.thumb.jpeg.bd1f0cde40c4724ed16c26b414b1525a.jpeg

And all the books to go with it:

IMG_0566.thumb.jpeg.43b5b0e4b869358003d4a501bcde9cc6.jpeg

I won’t be buying too much more as I’ve still got to eat and live once I get home. Consequently, I started making the calculations for what can be freighted back and what can ride suitcase-class last night.

Mind you, this isn’t even the full haul to date as I sent a large box of Märklin H0 back from Shinjuku at the start of the trip. But that of course doesn’t belong in this thread!

And to think I’m usually pretty financially responsible too…

Alastair

Edited by ED75-775
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
deathletter

My latest purchases. I got 4 boxes from yahoo.jp. Unless otherwise noted in the list below, all of these were purchased on yahoo.jp.

Kato 7008-7 DD51 mid-term cold-resistant model
Kato 7008-A DD51 Aichi Locomotive Depot JR Freight Color
Kato 7011-3 DE10 JR Freight updated color
Kato 8015 Wamu (white) 16 cars 
Kato 8032 Seki 6000 2 car set x 11 (6 are in a kato 10-1220 case and 8 have no case)
Kato 10-317 Koki 104 with JR containers - 2 car set
Kato 10-501 Container Type 20B  - 5 container set x 2
Kato 10-1277 Hoki 9500 Yabashi Kogyo 8 Car Set
Kato 10-1723 M250 Super Rail Cargo add on set with U50A Containers - 8 car set
Kato 11-107 small vehicle power unit
Kato 8042 Koki 200 Ut11C Kamioka Mining with 2 Containers
Kato 8042-1 Koki 200 Iso Tank with 2 Containers
Micro Ace A6202 Steam Locomotive C12-199 (2-6-2) with hopper wagon
Micro Ace A1257 Koki 71 + Koki 50000 (Car Rack Container) - 7 Car Set x 2 (1 set has two extra Kokis)
Micro Ace A1265 Koki 71-5,6 Car Rack Container - 2 Car Set
Micro Ace A2086 Woki Limestone transport freight car - 10 car set x 2
Micro Ace A3011 Sef1/Hora 1 Hopper Car - 2 car set (EBAY)
Micro Ace A3021 Hora 1 Hopper Car - 2 car set (EBAY)
Micro Ace A3022 Hora 1 with cover - 2 car set (EBAY)
Micro Ace A3196 Taki 9900 Caltex 8 car set x 2
Micro Ace A3251 Koki 106 U47A Nippon Express Eco liner 31 - 2 Car Set
Micro Ace A3262 Koki 106 U47A Nippon Express Eco liner 31 - 8 Car Set 
Micro Ace A6202 Steam Locomotive C12-199 with Hora hopper car (EBAY)
Micro Ace A6401 D52-403/Gotenba Line (2-8-2) 
Micro Ace A6402 D52-204 Wartime type (2-8-2) 
Micro Ace A6407 D52-235/Hakodate Main Line (2-8-2)
Micro Ace A6409 D52-468 Umekoji Preservation Machine (2-8-2) 
Micro Ace A6502 D62-3 With smoke collection device (2-8-4)
Micro Ace A6801 D50-37 Iwamizawa Ward (2-8-2) 
Micro Ace A6802 D50-140 Nogata Ward (2-8-2) 
Micro Ace A6902 D60-31 Nogata Ward (2-8-4) 
Micro Ace A7703 E10-1 Kanazawa Engine Depot (2-10-4t) 
Micro Ace A7706 E10-3/Niwasaka Engine Depot (2-10-4t) 
Micro Ace A9504 D51-51 Slug with white line (2-8-2) 
Micro Ace A9509 D51-859 Star mark (2-8-2) x 2 (oops...)
Micro Ace A9511 D51-882 Moon and deer mark (2-8-2) 
Micro Ace A9514 D51-499 Modified differential (2-8-2) 
Micro Ace A9521 D51-473 Long differential (2-8-2) 
TGW (Tsugawa) Choshi Electric Railway Deki 3 (Trolly Type) (W/Motor) (EBAY)
Tomix 2710 CHI 1 (Black) Flat Wagon (with real wood log load) - 1 car 
Tomix 2720 CHI 1 (Black) 2 axle flat car with logs - 3 cars
Tomix 2721 CHI 1 (Black) 2 axle flat car With Earthen Pipe) - 4 cars
Tomix 2723 TAMU (Silver) 500 2 axle private Owner Tank Wagon - 1 car
Tomix 2753 Koki 107 without containers x 2
Tomix 2775 TAKI 5450 (Yellow) Private owner 4 axle tank car - 2 cars
Tomix 8721 Tank Wagon type Ya 500A
Tomix 8737 Koki 104 with Yamato containers
Tomix 8723 Koki 106 with Yamato containers

EBAY 
ebay.thumb.jpg.0815d399b2f63b7896120d4d159c394e.jpg

BOX 1

box 1.jpg

BOX 2

box 2.jpg

BOX 3

box 3.jpg

BOX 4

Box 4.jpg

Edited by deathletter
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, deathletter said:

My latest purchases.

Wow...that is some haul...and all those MicroAce SLs including two E10s! 

I also bought quite a few second hand MicroAce SLs on yahoo.japan and found them to be really good.  Although advertised as second hand, and sometimes described as "junk", many of the models showed no sign of use while some of the older ones occasionally had discolouration of the packaging material.  All ran perfectly.

Enjoy your latest purchases!!

Graeme

• Like 1