ship built to transport long rail from Japan to US

miyakoji

I kindly got a 'like' from Mark on my other post about UP's steam shop, so I was reminded to check their YT channel for any updates on the restoration of 4014.  No such luck, but there's this vid, check out the comments  :confused5: :sad1:

• Like 3

Lol. The comments "WHY NOT MURKA!?". Well, I guess the USA can't provide the quality for the price Japan can offer... It must be really bad if they've even gone as far as to construct a special ship to transport rails. xD

bikkuri bahn

The rail is produced at Shin-Nittetsu/Sumikin's Yahata Works in Kita-Kyushu. Apparently 80% of the work's rail output is for export, including N. America, Australia, and Russia. The rail design is optimised for durability on long distance, high axle load railways, where intensive track maintenance cannot be performed (i.e. conditions found in the above regions).

Long rail is not new in Europe and is mostly produced in Germany. This ship is custom built and new, but looks like a modified general bulk carrier with the cranes moved to the side and a reduced cargo hold size. I think this was the cheapest way to ship the cheaper japanese rails across the world. Compared to the budget of the railroad, the ship costs almost nothing, but long rails greatly reduce rail replacement time and work costs.