2015 Japan Trip Plan Coming Together!

TestudoToTetsudo

TestudoToTetsudo

After YEARS of planning, saving up frequent flier miles and credit card points, and all sorts of different discussions, decisions and research, it looks like the 2015 Japan trip plan for my wife, parents and I has come together as of tonight.  Sharing my rail itinerary here, as another "data point" in all your trip planning efforts.  This is my fourth lifetime trip to Japan, my wife's first, and the next of many for my parents (Dad is from Japan, Mom studied abroad there and often goes for business).

This trip is not purely a rail-related trip.  The number one goal is to introduce my wife to my Dad's family and see my Dad's family, but that can be accomplished with one all-day family reunion and some get-togethers on the side in Tokyo.  The second goal of my trip was to show my wife Japan.  That will of course be done.  My train riding is priority number three, although given that Japan runs on transit the way America runs on Dunkin', there's a lot of latent train riding just going between priorities 1 and 2.  Within train riding, my goals are to ride as much Shinkansen as possible, ride the Yamanote Line and new Ueno-Tokyo connection in the rush to see what the new line has done to train crowding, ride the Wakayama Dentetsu to visit Tama, see one of those 7-minute turns of Shinkansen and 3-minute coupling/uncouplings, and otherwise ride a good functional cross-section of interesting Japanese trains.

So without further ado:

DAY 0-1 (cross international date line) - After a massive hoard of frequent flier miles, fly DCA-BOS-NRT, the latter on JAL's 787 Dreamliner, in Business Class for free on points.  Arrive NRT, exchange Japan Rail Pass Exchange Orders for actual passes, reserve rail legs we cannot jiyu seki (can I use that term as a verb on here?), Narita Express to Tokyo and Yamanote/Keihin Tohoku/Chuo lines to Kanda.  Spend next 4 nights free on points at the Comfort Hotel Kanda.

NOTE: For those of you here in the US who are Amtrak GuestRewards Select members OR have the Amtrak credit card with at least $200 Amtrak spend so far this year, you can transfer blocks of 5,000 Amtrak points into 15,000 Choice Points (1:3 ratio), up to 25,000 Amtrak/75,000 Choice Privileges points per calendar year.  In a completely unrelated matter, all Comfort Inn/Hotels in Japan, including Comfort Hotel Kanda, are 8,000 Choice Privileges points per night where space is available.  I think you can put two and two together :-).

DAYS 2 and 3: Sightsee Tokyo, including gatherings with relatives and family friends here and there, and going to my Dad's old neighborhood and the family grave plot.  Lots of latent train riding on a variety of routes just to do these things, but I do hope to get up early and ride the Yamanote line for a rush hour, spend a couple minutes each at Nippori and Shinjuku in the rush watching "the world's biggest wave" of commuter trains and passengers, and also ride the new connector between the Takasaski/Utsunomiya/Joban Lines and Tokaido Honsen to see how that looks and also if it's relieved the need for Oshiya on the Yamanote/Keihin Tohoku Lines between Ueno and Shinagawa.  My wife is a huge animal lover so we'll probably work in a visit to a cat cafe and of course the Hachiko Memorial at Shibuya into the mix (the latter is on the way to my Dad's old neighborhood).

DAY 4: Family Reunion near Tokyo.  Exact location and trains to/fro TBD.

DAY 5: Morning should present yet another rush hour opportunity.  After lunch, it's off to Akita.  Since I'll be on the Akita Shinkansen on the way home, going out I think I'll go the scenic route and take the Joetsu Shinkansen to Niigata then the Inaho to Akita.  Mom and Dad will ride the Akita Shinkansen out, and arrive Akita four minutes after I do.  My wife can go with either team.  Check in to the Comfort Inn walking distance from Akita station.

DAY 6: Akita-Juniko round trip on the Resort Shirakami to hike around Juniko.  Basically, when my wife saw photos of Juniko online she told me we HAD to go there.

DAY 7: Spend the day around Akita, possible half day trip to the Kakunodate Samurai Village, and a couple of hours relaxing in an Onsen around Akita.

DAY 8: Akita Shinkansen to Tokyo, Tokaido Shinkansen to Shin-Osaka.  My wife and I may go an hour ahead of my parents, to spend an hour at Morioka watching the three minute coupling/uncoupling sequence.  Check in to one of the several Toyoko Inns walking distance from Shin-Osaka.

DAY 9: Day trip to Wakayama/Kishi to visit Tama/Nitama the Cat and ride the incredibly styled trains of the Wakayama dentetsu.  Kuroshio Limited Express Shin-Osaka to Wakayama to connect to the Wakaden.

DAY 10: Sightseeing around Kyoto, wife definitely wants to go to the Arashiyama Monkey Park, and the parents will want to show her some of the temples.

DAY 11: Sightseeing around Kyoto for the wife and family, I think I may duck out and do a day trip to Kagoshima to try out the Kyushu Shinkansen.  I remember the Kyushu Shinkansen really cleaned house with the Brunel Awards (for excellence in international railway design) a few years back, and I remember this is the line that the "human wave" made headlines for when it opened, so I've been wanting to check this out.  I've been to Kyoto before, so 1.5 days of sightseeing is plenty for me.

DAY 12: AM Sightseeing around Kyoto, then an afternoon Shinkansen back to Tokyo with a one hour stop at an intermediate station (Maibara or Hamamatsu) to watch the world's most intense high speed rail operation at speed.  I had some hotels.com WelcomeRewards reward nights, so we're cashing them in on the Okura.

DAY 13: Last day in Tokyo.  A friend of mine found award space on JAL and is doing a trip to Japan by complete coincidence with overlapping dates.  We're thinking of doing a half day side trip to Kanazawa to try out GranClass on the new Hokuriku Shinkansen.  Other than that, it's exploring the Okura in its final season, and any other loose ends in Tokyo.  Lunch or dinner with family, etc.

DAY 14: As early as possible, get a Narita Express to Narita, check out the ANA and United clubs, and fly home in ANA Business Class (also free on points).

Nearly all travel here is on JR (except Wakayama dentetsu and subways to the Okura), which a 14-day Standard Class pass should handle (will need to pay for GranClass though).

This plan is still subject to change, the content of the days in Akita and Kyoto in particular.  But here's my starting plan.  I don't put much in the way of specifics down for Tokyo commuter travel down because, for my last trip in 2009, I dummied together some plans only to ditch them in favor of other trip plans...which I put together on the fly using knowledge I gained when thinking up the tossed plans.

Posting this as info if it's of value to anyone else here, feel free to let me know what you think!

Very nice plan!

Please allow me to suggest some ideas:

1) Your first day (Day 1) and Last day (Day 14) seems to only use the JR Pass for the Narita Trip, seems a little under-utilized for this... Perhaps you can streamline your journey to use a 7 day pass instead and look at ways to save more? Also you can try the Keisei + Tokyo Metro Pass combination. It has good value and you can ride the Keisei Skyliner and use Tokyo Metro for 2 days.

2) Your wife is a huge animal lover? Can I recommend you to this: http://9gag.com/gag/a9LAnq6 My friend recommended me this, but we aren't actually animal lovers...

Hoped that helps! Will be nice to see your developing plan!  :)

TestudoToTetsudo

Very nice plan!

Please allow me to suggest some ideas:

1) Your first day (Day 1) and Last day (Day 14) seems to only use the JR Pass for the Narita Trip, seems a little under-utilized for this... Perhaps you can streamline your journey to use a 7 day pass instead and look at ways to save more? Also you can try the Keisei + Tokyo Metro Pass combination. It has good value and you can ride the Keisei Skyliner and use Tokyo Metro for 2 days.

2) Your wife is a huge animal lover? Can I recommend you to this: http://9gag.com/gag/a9LAnq6 My friend recommended me this, but we aren't actually animal lovers...

Hoped that helps! Will be nice to see your developing plan!  :)

Thank you for the suggestions!

The 14-day pass is less than double the price of the 7-day pass, and with the spread out nature of our other travel I think it's still plenty worth it.  At the current exchange rate, I'll probably put at least $1,200 of travel onto the pass which currently can be bought for under $400.

I'm looking into the fox village now.

Edited by TestudoToTetsudo

While at Arashiyama don't forget the Bamboo Forest, and the rail museum at the station....and the romantic train! And when you pass the Randen terminus, stop for a photo!

TestudoToTetsudo

Thanks wazzd, the bamboo forest looks AMAZING and we can't wait to add that to our trip to the monkey park!

I'm looking into the fox village now.

I havent been able to figure out how to get to the fox village without paying ¥8000R/T in taxi fare

TestudoToTetsudo

After some research, I don't think we'll be able to work the fox park in, but the Monkey Park (with walk through the nearby Bamboo Forest) and Tama/Nitama should help my wife get her cute animal fix.  Tama/Nitama should make for a nice day in Wakayama, riding jiyu seki on one of the two morning Kuroshio originating at Kyoto, riding at least 3 Wakayama Dentetsu legs (preferably 3 different types of the decorated trains), and Kuroshio-ing it back either direct or via connection at Shin-Osaka.

The Monkey Park/Bamboo Forest involves a 15 minute ride on the JR San'in Honsen from Kyoto station, anyone know what I should expect there?  Nice taste of some local commuter action outside of Tokyo.

I also have a goal of riding a commuter-type train through relatively rural areas in Japan.  Does the Wakaden count for that?  Or should I plan on bailing for part of my trip on the Resort Shirakami or something in Northern Japan to ride a local train through a rural area?

Thanks!

The Monkey Park/Bamboo Forest involves a 15 minute ride on the JR San'in Honsen from Kyoto station, anyone know what I should expect there?  Nice taste of some local commuter action outside of Tokyo.

The Sanin/Sagano section you will be traveling on is not very exciting.

If you wanna travel on a commuter in a rural area, keep going on the Sanin Line, a few more stops past Arashiyama and the mountains turns rural very quickly.  Mainly rice farming past the mountains.

Give the Sagano Railway a go too.

If you are not using the Randen or the Hankyu, then be prepared for a decent walk to the Monkey Park from the Sanin Line station.

I'd get the bus from Kyoto station to Shiyoomiya Station.  Ride the Randen to Arashiyama Station, stopping at a few temples along the way.  Arashiyama Station is within 500m of both Bamboo Grove and Monkey Park.  End you day in the evening at Arashiyama Station and view the Kimono Forest.  Then return via the Randen again.  Or take the Randen one stop to Randen-Saga and walk up to the Sanin Line.  Short walk between the two and has a Lawsons on the way.

Edited by katoftw
TestudoToTetsudo

The Sanin/Sagano section you will be traveling on is not very exciting.

If you wanna travel on a commuter in a rural area, keep going on the Sanin Line, a few more stops past Arashiyama and the mountains turns rural very quickly.  Mainly rice farming past the mountains.

Give the Sagano Railway a go too.

If you are not using the Randen or the Hankyu, then be prepared for a decent walk to the Monkey Park from the Sanin Line station.

I'd get the bus from Kyoto station to Shiyoomiya Station.  Ride the Randen to Arashiyama Station, stopping at a few temples along the way.  Arashiyama Station is within 500m of both Bamboo Grove and Monkey Park.  End you day in the evening at Arashiyama Station and view the Kimono Forest.  Then return via the Randen again.  Or take the Randen one stop to Randen-Saga and walk up to the Sanin Line.  Short walk between the two and has a Lawsons on the way.

Thanks for the advice!

TestudoToTetsudo

Some changes to the itinerary!!!

Tokyo hotels have changed.  We're going to be at a Toyoko Inn in Akabane for the first few nights, and the Comfort Hotel Nihombashi next to Bakurocho the last few nights in Tokyo.  No more Kanda or Okura.  (Discovered after noticing the rooms in Kanda were not non-smoking).

The current itinerary is:

Day 0 - Fly out

Day 1 - Arrive Narita, Tokyo-Ueno Line/Takasaki/Utsunomiya Line to Akabane.

Day 2 - Tokyo sightseeing during the day, Chuo Line to Takao, Keio Railway to Takaosanguchi, dinner at Ukai Toriyama (!!!)

Day 3 - Tokyo sightseeing during the day, relatives near Shibuya for dinner (likely Tokyu Railway for a stop or two from Shibuya)

Day 4 - Family Reunion near Tama, either the Odakyu or Keio Lines from Shinjuku to Nagayama (any tips for one vs. the other?)

Day 5 - Tokyo/Omiya to Niigata on the Joetsu Shinkansen, Niigata to Akita on the Inaho

Day 6 - Akita - Juniko round trip on the Resort Shirakami

Day 7 - Kakunodate Samurai Village.  Akita Shinkansen out there, local trains back (Tazawako Line Kakunodate-Omagari satisfies my goal of riding local trains in remote areas).

Day 8 - Akita-Morioka on the Komachi, spend an hour watching coupling/uncoupling of Shinkansen, Morioka-Tokyo on the Hayabusa, watch 8-minute Shinkansen turns at Tokyo Station, Tokyo-Hamamatsu on the Hikari, watch the world's busiest high speed operation for an hour, Hamamatsu-Kyoto on the Hikari.

Day 9 - Kuroshio Kyoto-Wakayama, Wakaden to Kishi and back with a stop at Idakiso to visit Tama and Nitama.

Day 10 - Kyoto Arashiyama Monkey Park and Bamboo Forest, other Kyoto sightseeing.

Day 11 - Torn between either all-day Shinkansen travel to ride the Kyushu Shinkansen, or a day trip to Hiroshima to see the peace memorial.  Either way I hope to ride the Sakura Shinkansen.

Day 12 - Kodama Kyoto-Maibara, Shirasagi Limited Express Maibara-Kanazawa, meet friend in Kanazawa to ride GranClass on the Hakutaka (Hokuriku Shinkansen) back to Tokyo.

Day 13 - Final day in Tokyo for sightseeing, visiting relatives, etc.

Day 14 - Early morning Narita Express, "go clubbing" at Narita, fly home.

Two questions I have now are:

1) Is Hamamatsu the best station between Tokyo and Kyoto to watch Nozomi tear through at speed, and overtakes of Hikari and/or Kodama?  I read the curve makes for some nice photo and visual angles, and I've been to Maibara before and not been disappointed.  Any other suggestions?

2) Any reason to take the Odakyu or Keio Lines between Shinjuku and Nagayama?  Is one better or more interesting than the other?

westfalen

Hamamatsu is a good Shinkansen watching spot, I've spent time there on a couple of trips, these are a few shots from the evening of 2 Sept 2010.  You won't see any 300 series now but you might get lucky with Dr Yellow.

I think you will be doing enough Shinkansen travel to more than make a profit on your passes even if you don't use them much on the first and last days.

post-182-0-77927900-1430717067_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-95442900-1430717071_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-26201800-1430717075_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-11034100-1430717080_thumb.jpgpost-182-0-15349500-1430717083_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
TestudoToTetsudo

Hamamatsu is a good Shinkansen watching spot, I've spent time there on a couple of trips, these are a few shots from the evening of 2 Sept 2010.  You won't see any 300 series now but you might get lucky with Dr Yellow.

I think you will be doing enough Shinkansen travel to more than make a profit on your passes even if you don't use them much on the first and last days.

attachicon.gifDSC03365.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03370.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03371.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03376.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03378.JPG

Thanks!  Yes, with the current exchange rate I paid about $387 US for the pass and should get at least $1,100 US worth of travel out of the pass.