100 Years Under Singing Wires.

Jcarlton

That's an excellent read, great work. How long did it take you to write and collate all that?

All the best,

Mark.

About a week.  It helped that I knew where most of the New Haven stuff was.  The Shinkansen stuff just started dropping out once I found the first link.  I got really lucky there.

SantaFe1970

Thanks for sharing. Especially interesting to me, as for several years I lived in New Haven, New Milford, and Fairfield, and regularly rode Metro North into NY City. Arriving in Grand Central never got old. 

Fascinating read, thanks.

There’s actually a bullet train embankment near Shinagawa station.

I always wondered what that was and didn't realise it was a remnant of the pre-war dangan ressha planning until quite recently. Tragically it's being demolished as part of the redevelopment of the area north of Shinagawa station. Last time I went past it was scaffolded up and probably in the process of being removed. A couple of photos from December 2014:

post-1206-0-65020600-1426001166_thumb.jpg

post-1206-0-64401900-1426001176_thumb.jpg

If you'll allow me to don my pedant hat:

In 2005 I rode the Tokaido shinkansen, the Dangan Ressha, the bullet train

Dangan ressha is the name for the prewar project and while it seems to have stuck in English, in Japanese the modern Shinkansen is plain "Shinkansen"; arount the time of construction it was referred to as "Yume no chou-tokkyuu" ("Dream Express").

Edited by railsquid