Parts for Kato Viaduct Station

gerryo

Does anyone know if I can buy extra Track Platforms and S Joiners?  And if so where could I get them?

The obvious way would be to buy the Expansion Set and that is what I have done already.  But this leaves me with 13 extra station sides. Seems like I would be paying for a lot more that I wouldn't need.

gerryo

Hugh, never seen the plates offered on their own singly, just in the expansion set with the walls and in the station kit. Do you have a part number on that?

Thanks

Jeff

I think that is what he meant.  He was just simplifying the information.  The Plate add ons also come with the joiners.

Edited by katoftw

The Plate Add On Sets come with 2 Plates, 4 S Joiners, 5 Side Walls with windows for 2, and 4 Low Walls. This is why I now have so many Side Walls. Even the Station Set comes with extra walls, but not enough S Joiners to attach all the Plates.

And now I believe that Kato has discontinued production of the Station Set and the Expansion Set.

I guess that getting trapped into Kato Track and Accessories was not a good idea

gerryo

I'll wait until I am finished with what I need.  I have ordered 4 more Expansion Sets and will have even more walls.

My only worry now is the number of S Joiners.  They seem to be rationed by Kato.

gerryo

Hi guys!

There are 2 station add-on sets, 23-230 & 23-231, but there is also a plate expansion set, 23-232. It comes with only low sidewalls, and no under-structures. Spare S-joiners are sold in 20-packs: 24-817. All this is in the 2015 Japanese catalogue.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am speaking from Asia, and I buy direct from the Kato agent in Hong Kong....

Ewan

I asked about this and didn't get any real answers.  If these things exist, could they not be better advertised? 

It seems to me that Kato has a lot of things that are not advertised in North America.  Nor even known about here.

I was led to believe that Kato was a world wide organization.

Anyway, it's sure going to cost me a bundle to get out of this trap.

gerryo

Johnny at Hobby Tech in Calgary can get you pretty much anything made by Kato. His website's not great, his store is though. Contact him and see if he can get you a package of S Joiners. Kato part number is 24-817. Should be cheaper than shipping from the US or overseas.

Cheers eh,

Todd 

Thanx Todd. I'll give him a try, eh.

And thanx for the link. I think I've been in his store, and got a Loco for my Garden Railroad.

gerryo

I dont understand why you are getting frustrated at the Kato company.  It seems whomever you are normally asking for information doesn't know what they are talking about and they are ill-informing you.  Probably best to not ask them again.  Be frustrated at them.

If you already have a viaduct station, then somewhere in the paperwork would be info about all the add ons also.  Any of the retailers here (MTP and L1H) can get them for you. Plus Hobby Search or Plaza Japan on eBay. 

Edited by katoftw

A few weeks ago I was able to order S-joiners through my favorite hobby shop ( Walt's in the Joliet IL area, an incredibly well stocked store ) and it only took them four days to get them from Kato. 

Glad I could help. He's a Gold Spike retailer and carries the whole Kato line, or can order it. Best prices in town too. Great guy to deal with.

Edited by tossedman

Egan,

Ok I see what you mean by the single plate adding. The station front and store kits include a single plate. AFAIK there is no addon with only a single plate by itself. The 232 has two plates and both low and high walls. Kato is pretty much exports the same stuff worldwide.

cheers

Jeff

Hi guys!

There are 2 station add-on sets, 23-230 & 23-231, but there is also a plate expansion set, 23-232. It comes with only low sidewalls, and no under-structures. Spare S-joiners are sold in 20-packs: 24-817. All this is in the 2015 Japanese catalogue.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am speaking from Asia, and I buy direct from the Kato agent in Hong Kong....

Ewan

In my search of the instructions that came with the station set there is no mention of extra S Joiners being available. If it is written there in Japanese it would do me no good as I do not read or write Japanese.

If someone had given me the part number when I asked the question, it would have saved me a bundle of money. I thought that the purpose of these forums was to share info and make it easier (and less expensive) for our fellow modellers.

OK. So I now have the S Joiners coming. Case closed.

gerryo

Krackel Hopper

If someone had given me the part number when I asked the question, it would have saved me a bundle of money. I thought that the purpose of these forums was to share info and make it easier (and less expensive) for our fellow modellers.

Calm down there turbo. If you had asked for the part number in the first place it would have been provided quite quickly.

The purpose of the forums is to share information and make things easier, but you need to ask the right questions if you want the right answers. It is unfortunate that you spent "a bundle of money" you didn't need to, however don't imply that it is because members of this forum were not providing you with information. In fact, Ewan.in.gz provided you with part numbers only 3 days after your first post.

Also, maybe try looking for yourself. Typing "Kato S Joiner" into Google, the first eight results list the product number 24-817 right in the summary.

I don't mean to come off as rude but yesterday you tried to blame Kato for poor advertising and today you blame the forums for not answering a question you never asked. That doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 1
Krackel Hopper

In my search of the instructions that came with the station set there is no mention of extra S Joiners being available. If it is written there in Japanese it would do me no good as I do not read or write Japanese.

I just pulled the instructions out of my box. Written in English (and Japanese) is a description of suggested additional parts. See attached image, right in the middle of the page "24-817 S Joiner x 1 bag" along with product numbers of station parts, platforms and most everything associated.

post-180-0-92778300-1425240385_thumb.jpg

The instruction sheet I received with the Viaduct Station from Kato, has a 12 page booklet of instructions. Nowhere in this book is the sheet which you produced in the above post.

The instruction sheet I received with the Expansion set from Kato, has a 4 page booklet of instructions. Nowhere in this book is the sheet which you produced in the above post.

I believe that my question was if extra Plates and S Joiners were available and where they might be available. How could I have quoted the part number if I did not know if it existed.

You can call me names if you like, but it, clearly, does not solve the problem.

gerryo

Come on guys, everyone has gotten a little heated here, and gotten us here. Let's drop this discussion as I think the questions have been answered now. Let's cool off and let it go.

This is important to remeber to try and give each other a break and realize that we are communicating w.o lots of the monkey language that we rely on with personal, direct human communication. So try to walk in the other person's shoes and try to think how the words we type might be read by others.

Jeff