JR Kyushu to introduce its 10th Joyful train.

The Sweets Train!!!

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/01/28/national/jr-kyushu-looks-to-woo-women-with-sweets-train/

Cannot say I have noticed any talk of this train on the forums yet.  Maybe it is just a pipe dream currently.

to be designed by the legendary Eiji Mitooka, I'm sure it will be another winner.  Dont know Eiji Mitooka?  but you'll know his train designs:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiji_Mitooka

Sweets train? From the picture, it looks like the observation carriage of a SL train, like the SL Hitoyoshi. Debut in 2015? Hhhmmm I wonder if i'll be on time for it?

Guest keio6000

is it safe to say that these trains are for japan's many relatively rich elderly?  i mean they look so sterile and uninteresting and I'm sure they charge an arm and a leg for tickets.

The target audience varies. Some trains (like the 7 stars) are made for the really rich, while many lines have nostalgic trains for the elderly, usually with bar or diner service. The third category is trains for families with kids that have play areas. The various SL services tend to be a mix of the latter two. Also there are group oriented trains for business events and school excursions, but they are not run regularly. The good thing is there are so many that you can surely find one that you like. (i don't really collect painted trains, but do have the tama and strawberry sets from wakayama electric, the latter was designed by Mitooka)

is it safe to say that these trains are for japan's many relatively rich elderly?  i mean they look so sterile and uninteresting and I'm sure they charge an arm and a leg for tickets.

The Luxury Trains yes.  The Joyful Trains no.

20000 yen! 

But I kinda like the website though. Nicely designed.

Hello Mr JR500系,

That is the one-way price per person, based on two people buying tickets to adjoining seats.  Drinks are included.  Surcharges apply for any other situation.

I do think that JR Kyushu has done a great job with excursion trains--there is a long list of them operating on that island. I'd like to see them run even more such trains on many of their rural lines, though.

• Like 1

I'd rather just catch the regular local train and see the real JR Kyushu, or what's left of it.

While I agree, that's not going to pay the bills. Excursion trains--which can charge a premium--could help, especially bringing tourists to more rural areas of Kyushu. That's why it didn't take long for the Hisatsu Orange Railway--the former JR Kyushu Kagoshima Main Line between Yatsushiro and Sendai Stations--to start up tourist trains to attract passengers.