Question concerning current tank wagon use

Hi all,

There's another question related to present stock use in Japan which came up. I was wondering which types of tank wagons are currently seeing regular use, apart from the TAKI 1000s. I'd be happy if someone could shed some light on this matter  :) .

Cheers,

Dom

Taki 43000s, 35000s, and you probably find some 14300s still rolling around.

I think there are some 5450s and 7750s still rolling around, mainly in northern Japan. But I might be wrong.

Most of the older tank cars have been moved to Hokkaido, judging by some films one sees in YouTube...

Cheers NB

Most of the older tank cars have been moved to Hokkaido, judging by some films one sees in YouTube...

No longer.  Transport of petroleum products by rail ended in May last year in Hokkaido (with the closing of the JX Muroran refinery). It all goes by truck now.

No longer.  Transport of petroleum products by rail ended in May last year in Hokkaido (with the closing of the JX Muroran refinery). It all goes by truck now.

Was the Muroran refinery the only rail-connected one in the island?

Cheers NB

Welshbloke

Bit of a resurrection, but I'm trying to make sense of the same thing.

As I understand it the tankers tend to stick together - as in you'll see a train of green and grey tankers or a train of deep blue ones, but they don't seem to mix much?

Are the Taki 1000 and 43000 mixed freely or are they used on different traffic flows? I've seen both in the same colours in model form but not found many photos.

bikkuri bahn

As tank trains tend to move in dedicated formations to dedicated customers, they typically consist of single, or perhaps two types, though I have seen pictures of trains with three or more different liveries.  You will see more mixed types in yards and on the trains of port/short lines that deliver them to/from their final destinations/origin points, typically large and/or numerous customers in kombinato industrial areas, such as at Negishi in Yokohama or the area served by the Keiyo Port Railway in Chiba.

Edited by bikkuri bahn