One very long sebu train!

Due to broken pantographs at Tokyo station a 15 car sebu 217 had to be rescued by another one making a 600m, 30 car 217 unit. Starts to feel like a long freight train!

http://www.huffingtonpost.jp/2014/12/25/train-of-30-cars_n_6379366.html

Aerial photo

http://www.asahi.com/articles/photo/AS20141226000406.html

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 4

That is a LOT of train...

Any reason why a 15-car train is used to rescue another 15 car train? Wouldn't a DE10 or EF81 be able to pull away the damaged 15 car train set? Or is it because another 15-car needs to be there to transfer the commuters on the 'down' train? But couldn't another DE10 or EF81 or some other locomotive then pull the 'down' 15-car train set away?

It's strange why the running 15-car, now filled with commuters, would pull the other 15-car, and wouldn't a 30-car be a problem for stopping at some platforms?

First, the rescuing EMU was probably the train closest to the broken down train. Considering Japan doesn't have that many locos nowadays and especially not standing at random places, it would take much longer getting a separate loco there. They probably got rid of the passengers in the both trains and went straight to the yard/maintenance works without stopping.

At least that's how it goes in the Netherlands.

I think a 30 car train should be standard for for all lines now in Tokyo. Sure you would literally have to double stations, but hell, they're so close now in Tokyo, the entire Yamanote Line would be one continuous loop station.

Davo Dentetsu

I think a 30 car train should be standard for for all lines now in Tokyo. Sure you would literally have to double stations, but hell, they're so close now in Tokyo, the entire Yamanote Line would be one continuous loop station.

That'll save you having any trains, then :P

Typically the maximal practical length of a train when there are no technical limits is the maximal distance travellers are ready to walk from one end to the other. Longer than that and you would need very special station setups to get the train loaded evenly. Also the minimal station distance and maximal train length are two factors that depend on each other and could limit the maximal effective speed and the usability of a line.

As an extreme example, you can replace the whole yamanote with a moving sidewalk, but it would be less usable, because while the overall capacity would increase, the speed of travel would be much slower. There are cases where train length and capacity of the current trains can not be increased. This is when parallel lines are good. Having two lines with very similar (or even the same) path, but independent tracks could double the capacity without modifying anything. In Tokyo this is used very effectively on many lines that parallel each other during parts of their route. To make this more effective, you can place the same direction stops at common platforms, so people could choose the sooner arriving train during off peak and the less loaded during peak hours. This balances out the load and/or decreases travel time without serious planning and coordination.

For Japan i think the longest ones are around 15 cars like on the Yoban line, with the Yamanote at 11 and most JR commuters at 10. That's a length of 200 to 300 meters, assuming 20 meter standard stock. Of course, shinkansen can be as long as 16 cars with a length of 400 m, but imho that's a bit too much for a normal commuter train. The longest commuter trains i know of in Europe (from Germany) are around 12 cars with a length of 25m, so around 300 meters in total. That's exactly like the 15 cars of the standard Japanese 20 meter design.

Mudkip Orange

That'll save you having any trains, then :P

Yeah, at that point you're basically into the Asimovian "expressway"/successive moving platforms concept.

Yeah, at that point you're basically into the Asimovian "expressway"/successive moving platforms concept.

Heinlein was before Asimov with the roads must roll!

Jeff

What are the longest, high-frequency commuter trains I wonder?

15 car Shonan/Tokaido/Takasaki/Utsunomiya Line.  10 cars with the Salo cars at #4 and #5.  And the they add 5 unit set on the back to make it 15 cars in total.

I think the Joban Line runs a similar consist.

Kyushu's longest is 9 cars, which is a mixture of 3 car 813 and 817 units coupled together.  And I think JR Wests longest is 12.  2 car cars 221s/225s coupled together.