Question to do with the Chuo Line Holiday Rapids

The Holiday Rapid Fujisan runs on 183 Series rolling stock (I think), but the Holiday Rapids Okutama and Akigawa run on standard-issue 233 Series stock. Why is this? I understand that the 183 Series train has to run along the Fuji Kyuko Lines but why run on 183 Series stock?

Based on the info below, the E233s will run on the Fujikyu line, so there is no technical reason behind the use of the 189s.  Rather, maybe the companies want to present this as higher level service to entice people to go out to the amusement park at the end of the line--Fujikyu moreso than JRE, as Fujikyu owns the park :)  It would be interesting to know how farebox receipts are divided.

Here's Fujikyu's page on the train:
http://www.fujikyu-railway.jp/train/jr_train02.php

It points out that there are no transfers along the 2-hour journey from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko, and the unreserved seats require only basic fare tickets.  In the reclining seats, you can enjoy the trip in comfort, oblivious to crowds or congestion (my translation :) )

Also, over on the Japanese Wikipedia page, there's some info about previous services from central Tokyo out to this area

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9B%E3%83%AA%E3%83%87%E3%83%BC%E5%BF%AB%E9%80%9F%E5%AF%8C%E5%A3%AB%E5%B1%B1

Apparently there were such services since the pre-war era, but with the discontinuation of seasonal trains in 1986, these were downgraded to rapid service with the Holiday Kaisoku Picnic.  Then in 1990 the Holiday Kaisoku Musashino began operation,   The Holiday Kaisoku Fujisan had been the Holiday Rapid Kawaguchiko until summer of 2013 when Mt. Fuji became a world heritage site, at which time it was renamed.  There's also the kaisoku Yamanashi Fuji, which covers the same route, although some start out in Chiba.  Rolling stock for that includes the E233, E257-500, the New Nanohana joyful train which is a 485 series, and these 189s.  In the past, they've also used 167, 169, and 183 series trains.

It points out that there are no transfers along the 2-hour journey from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko, and the unreserved seats require only basic fare tickets.  In the reclining seats, you can enjoy the trip in comfort, oblivious to crowds or congestion (my translation :) )

Therefore, as I understand it, it's a question of comfort rather than mechanical/utility?

The type of riders are different for each run. The Holiday Akigawa/Okutama run carries hikers and visitors to the Okutama mountains. Being close to Tokyo, the mountain trails are heavily used. One leaves about every half an hour from Shinjuku on the weekends in the mornings with a like number coming back in the afternoons. So for the hikers, the train is just a means of getting there quickly. The 189s going to Kawaguchiko are not necessarily used by hikers but by people on a day trip to the lake area or perhaps the lower stations on Mt Fuji. So the ride is more important. There are only two 189s each weekend day. One leaves from Shinjuku and the other from Koyama, I believe. The one from Koyama passes through Omiya then takes the Musashino line and gets on the Chuo Line at Nishi-Kokubunji. It arrives about an hour later than the Shinjuku train at Kawaguchiko. I've ridden both trains, the Shinjuku one many times.The other, only  once, from Omiya. I get off at Otsuki as I'm using the JR Seishun 18 ticket. 

The Holiday Rapid View Kobuchizawa (or Yamanashi) uses a 215 and either starts from Shinjuku or sometimes from Chiba and runs to Kobuchizawa. 

Best wishes,

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 1

FWIW there's also a 通勤快速 (tsukin kaisoku) on weekday evenings which departs Tokyo at 19:10 and arrives 40 stations later at Kawaguchiko at 22:05.

FWIW there's also a 通勤快速 (tsukin kaisoku) on weekday evenings which departs Tokyo at 19:10 and arrives 40 stations later at Kawaguchiko at 22:05.

Ahh, I just checked Jorudan and there are actually two per day. Very cool, thanks for pointing this out!

By the way, isn't there talk that Fuji Kyuko wants to buy the now-retired JR East 371 Series trainset, refurbish it, and use it on the Fujisan Limited Express all the way from JR East Shinjuku Station to Kawaguchiko Station on weekends?

Edited by Sacto1985

By the way, isn't there talk that Fuji Kyuko wants to buy the now-retired JR East 371 Series trainset, refurbish it, and use it on the Fujisan Limited Express all the way from JR East Shinjuku Station to Kawaguchiko Station on weekends?

Ahh, I hope not. That 371 is one ugly beast. Hope JR still runs the 189s.

Ahh, I just checked Jorudan and there are actually two per day. Very cool, thanks for pointing this out!

This thread caused me to remember getting on a train in the evening at Tokyo station and being surprised about its final destination, so I looked for one which would run around the time I recall.

What's the timing for the other one?

Train 1815H/1815M/2815M*

Dp. Tokyo 18:07 Ar Kawaguchiko 21:05

*H is one of  the designations for commuter trains in the urban network area (as far as Takao), M is the standard designation for EMU's otherwise.

This thread caused me to remember getting on a train in the evening at Tokyo station and being surprised about its final destination, so I looked for one which would run around the time I recall.

Jorudan says the two departures are at 18:07 and 19:10, and they are both 通勤快速.

Guest keio6000

fujikyu is awesome because they seem to have a hobbyist's interest in running cool older trains.   maybe it's part of their 'appeal to tourists,' but i suspect a good bit of it is some general fanboyism by those who decide such things there.   189?  ex-Keio 5000 in original colors?  all awesome trains.   371 too for that matter.

KawaguchikoHK640.jpg

fujikyu is awesome because they seem to have a hobbyist's interest in running cool older trains.   maybe it's part of their 'appeal to tourists,' but i suspect a good bit of it is some general fanboyism by those who decide such things there.   189?  ex-Keio 5000 in original colors?  all awesome trains.   371 too for that matter.

Good stuff, mate! I'm going to do a bike trip around fuji and I plan to ride the Holiday Rapid there and back. Has anyone ridden this before? Particularly crowded?