JNR Freight Operations 1941

Jcarlton

bikkuri bahn
Great video of JNR freight operations in 1941

Yes a real oldie produced by the Railway Ministry Tetsudousho, or Japanese Government Railways (JGR) as it was known then. The scene at 0:57 is likely the throat of the Sumidagawa Freight Terminal, the grade crossing is now long gone, but the pedestrian overpass remains. At 13:56 note the 9600 consol used for hump operations.

Martijn Meerts

Hmmm.. Like I wasn't already thinking about doing a full steam era layout already.. But what to do with all those shinkansen :)

Hmmm.. Like I wasn't already thinking about doing a full steam era layout already.. But what to do with all those shinkansen :)

Keep the 0 series, (one of the better looking ones anyway) and get rid of all those ugly modern ones. :)

There was still steam around in their early years.  It's a hard concept to grasp sometimes that the steam and Shinkansen eras overlapped by about ten years.

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

It's actually not just the shinkansen.. I have quite a few post-steam era trains.. Of course, I have quite a few that would work on a steam era layout as well :)

Maybe I should just update my spreadsheet of which trains I have, and start adding additional info to them, like what year they started running. I already do have a few 0 series, including the new Tomix one with the illuminated nose cone :)

bikkuri bahn
It's a hard concept to grasp sometimes that the steam and Shinkansen eras overlapped by about ten years.

Yes, for example, you could take the Tokaido Shinkansen to Kyoto, and after a walk across the footbridge to the Central Exit side, be already in steam locomotive heaven.  This would continue for six and a half years after the beginning of shinkansen services...

Martijn Meerts

The 0 series does look a lot more modern than it really is, so it makes sense to not really see how it could have run when there was still a lot of steam traction... It would make an interesting layout though, having a couple of 0 shinkansen on their own line, and then mainly steam and some EMUs .. I have been getting more and more into the older JNR stuff for a while already .. I think about half my collection is post-JNR though.

On the other hand, there's no way I'll be able to build a layout that can handle my entire collection, and there's no way my entire collection will be DCC anytime soon either. Could just focus on the JNR stuff first and go from there.