The Unnamed Layout

gr-ex

Thanks all!

@railsquid I hope so, still got lots to do but I think it is getting there :) - I keep meaning to ask, which train is that in your avatar?

@Claude thank you. The catenary is all home made, I was originally going to use Dapol NCAT1 single masts but a relative of mine offered to make them for me and I jumped at the chance. Eventually the wires will span over most of the layout with only a couple of sidings remaining unelectrified.

@Densha thanks! The curves on the upper level are rather narrow, I have made sure however that the wider trains can use the curves with ease. I wanted to create the feeling that the tracks were going somewhere, hopefully I've achieved this.

@kvp Ah no I hope I've not mistranslated. I was going for: New Oakland - Atarashī ōkurando - 新しいオークランド. Thank you very much, and I definitely will keep this thread updated with further progress!

Bingo, I had my money on "Oakland". Not sure which Oakland, mind.

@railsquid I hope so, still got lots to do but I think it is getting there :) - I keep meaning to ask, which train is that in your avatar?

This one, though apart from being something dieselly from Hokkaido I can't remember any further details. Some evil people here posted a link to it and I was unable to resist ;)

Very nicely done! The buildings really add to the Japanese feel! Good work on those paper buildings! I had some but my skill took too long to build them, good to see you've gotten a whole bulk of them up!

Like the last picture of the Umineko~ The colours really do look nice!  :)

@kvp Ah no I hope I've not mistranslated. I was going for: New Oakland - Atarashī ōkurando - 新しいオークランド. Thank you very much, and I definitely will keep this thread updated with further progress!

It's correctly translated (and transliterated), but you could also go with 新オークランド, pronounced as Shin-Ookurando. Sounds more Japanese.

Being a kanji guy, I made some kind of kanji writing that is pronounced as Shin-Ookurando (しんおおくらんど): 新大九蘭土  (literally translated: New Big Ninth Orchid Earth :P)

Do with it what you like.

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1

Greg,

great work! this is really coming along nicely!

love New Oakland, i grew up in Oakland, but thats Oakland CA, USA...

cheers

jeff

@railsquid Many thanks for sharing the link. What a fantastic looking train! I've added MicroAce A5933 to my wish list now!

@JR500 のぞみ thank you. I was honestly surprised at how long some of them took to build. The Anime store took me the best part of a day, some of the adverts and canopies are so fiddly. Amazing how some paper can dramatically change a layout.

@Densha Wow thanks for those translations, I should have read this sooner as I rather like Shin-Ookurando, I've adorned some of the buildings / adverts with Atarashī ōkurando, ah well I guess I could always change them :D

@cteno4 Thanks Jeff, yes me too, I was going through names and that's the one that stuck! Ah sunny California, miles away from the wet and windy weather that greets us here most days!

Wow! Since you are in England it was an Oakland in GB! Think that's the first time I've bumped into someone from Oakland on the forum! Where did you live and when? I grew up down on the estuary near the park street bridge (just behind the big bakery you smell from 880) in the 60s. Then back in the late 90s lived up in lower rock ridge near the BART station.

It is tough weather to leave! Especially good this time of year! Think of it when it's like swimming in air here in the summer or shoveling stupid snow here in do... Unfortunately the drought is really hitting CA hard!

Cheers

Jeff

On 10/28/2014 at 11:26 PM, cteno4 said:

Wow! Since you are in England it was an Oakland in GB! Think that's the first time I've bumped into someone from Oakland on the forum! Where did you live and when? I grew up down on the estuary near the park street bridge (just behind the big bakery you smell from 880) in the 60s. Then back in the late 90s lived up in lower rock ridge near the BART station.

It is tough weather to leave! Especially good this time of year! Think of it when it's like swimming in air here in the summer or shoveling stupid snow here in do... Unfortunately the drought is really hitting CA hard!

Cheers

Jeff

I'm told I get around to everything eventually, even if it is 5 years later and my write up below completely contradicts this statement! Sorry Jeff!

Firstly, I hope everyone is keeping well - strange times we find ourselves in.

Straight into some sad news, unfortunately the layout is reaching the end of its useful life which means that it is soon to be dismantled.  Of course the real story is that about a year ago; maybe two, I had grand plans for the layout including a full rewire / various track layout changes / a branch extension etc.  I was about half way through implementing my 'grand plan' and for one reason or another progress stopped and regretfully, I never returned to it.  This was exasperated by the fact that the room in which the layout sat became a 'temporary' storage room meaning the layout was inaccessible for an extended period of time.

After much organising and clearing this past weekend, I have reclaimed and designated the room once again for model railway use.  There is still some clearing to do but, I've already installed a new workbench and shelving, organised and sorted my tools ready for the... now to the exciting part... new layout!  I am hoping to share progress with you all and I'll likely start a new thread in the layout planning section in the coming months, however I do intend to update this thread once the build starts.

If the dismantle is of interest to anyone, please do let me know and I'll be happy to share progress.  Looking forward to what is to come!

All the best, Grant.

• Like 3

@gr-ex

Grant, 

sorry to hear of the hiatus, but sounds like the energy is back and juices flowing. That happens in life. Glad you are back at it and looking forward to the next layout!

jeff

• Like 1