Hilton Fukuoka Seahawk to hakata station

Steve4031

I used to live in Fukuoka.  I`ve never gone by bus to the Hilton, but that is an extremely busy area so I would expect they would run every 10 minutes or so at least during the day, you definitely won`t have trouble getting around from there.  If you are up for a walk, the nearest subway station (Nishijin) is about a 10-15 minute walk away, from which you can get to Hakata in about a 10 minute ride.

The hotel is actually in a fairly scenic location, right on the beach with a view of Hakata Bay and next to the baseball stadium.

I just looked at google and found Nishijin. This could be a longish walk in hot, humid, or rainy weather.

I'm thinking of using this hotel as a home base for exploring Kyushu by rail. I'll probably be traveling in June and July. What us the weather like then? Iirc this is the rainy season.

Thank you.

I'm not really familiar with the climate in Fukuoka, but around that time it will be either rainy or hot. Or both. (Which is why personally, if I were travelling in Japan in summer, I'd go north rather than south).

If you are using it as a base for exploring Kyushu, I would recommend getting something closer to Hakata station then, You will probably lose about 45 minutes each way on the Hilton to Hakata Station commute, and there are a ton of hotels within a 10 minute walk of Hakata Station that would be much more convenient.  The only advantage the Hilton has is that it is quite scenic and a bit of a high class hotel - the ones in the vicinity of Hakata station are mostly business hotels (they have the basics but aren`t luxurious) whose prime selling point is convenience. 

Oh and weather wise, June is the rainy season in most of Japan, including Kyushu.  It doesn`t rain everyday but you can expect a few showers.  July is more likely to be sunny, but it will be humid in Kyushu with daytime highs in the mid-30s.

There are plenty of good hotels around Hakata station that are better than "basics". I stayed recently at Hakata Mikado hotel, just outside the station entrance. Good rooms, good staff, large breakfest (both Japanese and Western). You can even see a glimse of the Shinkansen platforms from the window tables. Of course a bit more expensive than e g Toyoko Inn, but much more value for money. If your main purpose of the trip is rail travel, stay close to the stations. Skip the international chains, they are overpriced. Go for the local hotels. Often better standard at lower price.

Edited by Kitayama

Thank you. That 45 minutes info is helpful. I like the hotel. But I wasn't sure how long the bus ride was. The 15 minute walk to the subway plus a 10 minute ride is 25 minutes which isn't much better.

My second choice was going to be the comfort hotel which is across the street from hakata station.

I been to Fukuoka 2 years ago, I guess the hotel offer an attractive price like me last time. 

stay 1 night, there is some stuff to do around but for train trips I would go against it. 

You should base your hotel where you planning to travel, there are two areas Hakata (JR) or Tenjin (private).

I end up staying at middle of the two, by the canal city shopping centre. (about 10- 15mins walk to either station)

Summer is really hot and sticky. 

Definitely stay close to the station. I was going to recommend the hotel I stayed at previously, but looking at Google Street View it appears to have been replaced.

I was gonna stay at the Hakata Miyako, but got cheaper rates at The B Hakata.  But there are at least 50 hotels within a 500m walk of Hakata station.

Personally though, if I was a lone traveller look only for a bed at night.  Then a Toyoko Inn would be the go.  2 right accross the road from the station.

Edited by katoftw

Another point that I forgot go mention which might be useful.  There is a big department store in Hakata Station.  On the 8th floor there is an excellent model railroad shop.  They have a good selection of stuff for reasonable prices and even have a large layout set up for people to use (I put a couple of pics of it on my old blog here http://ablogofsean.blogspot.jp/2011/03/new-hakata-station.html ).

Definitely worth checking out if you are in Hakata Station.

Edited by Sean

Yup, right next to the Pokemon shop.  Actually when my wife and I went she wanted to go to the pet store (we have a dog) on the other side of it!

Great shop, I bought probably close to half of the stuff on my layout there.