Digitrax/Kato D101 power supply

katoftw

Hi,

Keen on getting the Japanese Kato version of the Digitrax D101. I really like the fact it also has Japanese text on it.

The Digitrax version comes withs a 100-240V 50/60Hz power supply, with a 3 pronge cloverleaf plug, so you only change the cord for whatever market you are in.

But the Japanese version only comes with a 100V power supply, which is madness to make a whole new power supply for a single market, when the original with a changed plug only would have worked like all other markets.

The D101 require a 15V 3A output from the supply, which is like most laptop power supplies out there.

Questions/Options...

1. Just by the Digitrax version and for go Japanese text on the Kato version..

2. Buy Digitrax power supply from somewhere? Digitrax website says do not sell seperately.

3. Buy a laptop power supply and cut and splice wiring as required.

Opinions?

Thanks...

Edited by katoftw
Guest Closed Account 1

Why but the Kato version at all when you get no warranty?

Digitrax won't service Kato electronics they built for them.

And who says the firmware updates will be the same.

Buy a DCC controller to match your country's electrical.

Why but the Kato version at all when you get no warranty?

Digitrax won't service Kato electronics they built for them.

And who says the firmware updates will be the same.

Buy a DCC controller to match your country's electrical.

Both Kato (Japan) and Digitrax (USA) have to be sent to back to their country of origin for warrenty claims. so mute point to make.

DCC controllers are all the same. Only the power supply to match my countries electrical is different.

Something to consider is that the D101 will probably come with a Japanese instruction manual.

Something to consider is that the D101 will probably come with a Japanese instruction manual.

Good point. English downloadable pdf version from Digitrax will solve that.
Takahama Trainwatcher

• How about the number of ports for the jump throttle? The Kato version has one, though it is of course the perfect fit for its DC controller. Does the Digitrax version have 2 ports?

Guest Closed Account 1

It's the same controller and ports.

Kato version accepts Kato clip connectors.

Digitrax version uses bare ends.

Both need JRMI (.org) to update firmware.

Both have blast mode. So powerful and dangerous on a layout that I won't discuss it outside of a pm.

• How about the number of ports for the jump throttle? The Kato version has one, though it is of course the perfect fit for its DC controller. Does the Digitrax version have 2 ports?
I'll have to look into that. I'd much prefer 2 jump ports. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Takahama Trainwatcher

No probs.

To make sure we're all talking about the same thing, I've attached pics of the Kato/Digitrax DCS50K.

post-704-0-32472700-1404957081_thumb.jpg

post-704-0-11155000-1404957120_thumb.jpg

As far as I can tell, this is part of Kato's D101 package (according to http://www.katomodels.com/hobby/dcc/kato_friendly.shtml ). Note there is one jump throttle port. [if Kato now use an upgraded controller, forget all that!]

It looks like this is the Kato version of the Digitrax DCS50. That is apparently discontinued. Check out p36 (& p6) of the manual for this (http://www.digitrax.com/static/apps/products/starter-sets/zep/documents/ZephyrManual.pdf) to note that the Digitrax version appears to cater for 2 jump throttles.

The Digitrax replacement/upgraded model for this is the DCS51. Similarly, it seems to cater for 2 jump throttles. See p12 & p44 of its manual (http://www.digitrax.com/static/apps/products/command-stations-boosters/dcs51/documents/ZephyrXtra_Manual_2012.pdf).

I guess it would be nice if Kato released a "DCS51K". Besides the jump throttles, if the Kato version is the older model controller, it might be worth considering whatever improvements the new model controller provides (the Digitrax manuals indicate the DCS50 can control 10 trains & the DSC51 can control 20 trains).

Apologies if this causes any confusion or if I've got this wrong.

-TTW

• Like 1

It seems you are spot on. It's not something I originally gave any thought to, but pushes me back towards the newer Digitrax version.

I was reading/viewing the Roundhouse DCC pages after your original post. The only way to add more throttles to the Kato version (other than the single DC jump) is using the LocoNet connections and buy more pricier Digitrax controllers. Not a cost I wanna incur at the moment, as I already have the Kato DC controllers ready to go.

• Like 1