Running trains at low RPMs---safety concerns??---

SubwayHypes

SubwayHypes

I like to run my trains at low RPMs sometimes, because in real life commuter trains dont zip around tokyo at 90mph.  On the Kato power wheel its usually about the 11-12 o clock in the green area.  I also like running my trains down to a stop at the stations like in real life.

I was wondering if this was at all bad or harmful on the trains?? 

Just like stop and go traffic on a car vs freeway driving, does it add to the wear and tear?

If so i wanna cut it down to minimal, only during video shoots!

Martijn Meerts

As long as you don't stop them instantly, it doesn't add any wear and tear. Even stopping trains instantly doesn't add much wear and tear for those trains equipped with a flywheel.

CaptOblivious

Indeed, I think slow starts and stops are easier on the powertrain than sudden ones, generally. In otherwords, Subway, what you're doing is better for the trains than running them fast and stopping them quick.

SubwayHypes

yea i just like my trains to look "realistic" on the track, i love making them slowly accelerate and decelerate because if a Yamanote train was barreling into the station at 60mph and suddenly stopped all the passengers in the last car would end up in the middle of the train!

Mudkip Orange
if a Yamanote train was barreling into the station at 60mph and suddenly stopped all the passengers in the last car would end up in the middle of the train!

A beautiful day for chikan, bad for everyone else.
alpineaustralia
if a Yamanote train was barreling into the station at 60mph and suddenly stopped all the passengers in the last car would end up in the middle of the train!

Like a Pitt Street bus driver (Sydney joke)

SubwayHypes

that has actually happened a few times while riding Japanese trains.  I remember once, while riding the Yamanote line the train suddenly stopped, damn near the whole car fell on top of it self.  I remember seeing this japanese pop girl in a skirt get totally spread eagled out across the floor LOL, luckily we were sitting down so we didnt fall, but my mom suddenly mutters, "she has nice underpants!"  ahah.   so it does happen, ive also seen Yamanote lines be delayed because they ran over people at stations and what not.   

With rush hour and the millions of people who cram into that line everyday, its amazing they dont suffer daily casualties.