Cleaning Up A Stinky Situation

Jcarlton

Trash train derails before evening rush Thursday night:

Rerailing derailied trash train at Spyten Duyvel:

In July.

Edited by Jcarlton
  • Like 1

In July.  Exactly.  It was hotter than hell this week.  Another fine show by US freight railroading.  Since there were no injuries/deaths (thankfully) this wasn't reported that widely, I don't think (I'm in the northeast but not in the greater NYC area, I didn't hear about it).  Any details on what happened?  I was thinking a rail might have rolled over.  Looks like there was plenty of damage.

On a lighter note, the mtainfo channel on youtube has a very interesting documentary from 1981 called Working the "A" Train.  Fortunately the graffiti problem isn't what it used to be (right?).

Another video.:

Through my NRHS tower connections, I'll find out the real story about this.  This is a bad stretch to operate with a tight s bend, so I can see mistakes being made. 

Service back by Monday:

http://new.mta.info/news/2013/07/19/regular-hudson-line-service-suspended-weekend

Metro North runs a pretty good ship.  They've had a string of incidents this year and they've overcome them all.  Real railroading isn't necessarily running to a perfect timetable, it's getting back to the timetable when SHTF.  Honestly though, I think that Waste management and CSX should look into express refer style truck like JRF uses on the KOKI flats.  JRF doesn't seem to have these kind of issues.