E259 Marine Express Odoriko

bill937ca

Since 1 December 2012 Series E259 6-car trains have been operated on a new Marine EXP Odoriko service.  The Marine EXP is limited to one return train on weekends. The only difference I see is that the trains carry a Marine Express Odoriko head mark crest.

The Marine EXP is shown pass through Kita-Kamakura, the station with the track level crossing (thanks BB!) and a station between two double tunnels.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I wonder why JR East didn't transfer some E651 or E653 trainsets to the Odoriko service, unless the trainsets are physically too big for the tunnels on the JR East Itō Line and Izu Kyūkō Line.

That's an interesting point.  The remaining 651s are completely out of revenue service at the moment, aren't they?  Maybe JRE just wanted newer rolling stock on this service.  Or maybe there's some downside to using AC/DC trains when the AC mode isn't needed.

Airport services don't seem to be the busiest of lines.  I rarely see more than six cars and air travel is very cyclical.   The E259 already run on the Yokosuka line so deadhead km are at a minimum.

bikkuri bahn
That's an interesting point.  The remaining 651s are completely out of revenue service at the moment, aren't they?  Maybe JRE just wanted newer rolling stock on this service.  Or maybe there's some downside to using AC/DC trains when the AC mode isn't needed.

Yes, likely that would be the case with JR-E.  I reckon if it was JR-West, they would convert them to DC only, in typical Kansai thrifty fashion.

bronzeonion

Could be due to weight, AC trains carry a heavy transformer onboard.

Could be due to weight, AC trains carry a heavy transformer onboard.

Maybe the weight of AC voltage equipment on the E651 and E653 trainsets made them too heavy for the rails on the JR East Itō Line and Izu Kyūkō Line?

bronzeonion
Maybe the weight of AC voltage equipment on the E651 and E653 trainsets made them too heavy for the rails on the JR East Itō Line and Izu Kyūkō Line?

I dont think it will be too heavy for the track but you know how weight concious JR are.

Hello all,

Does anyone know if the Marine Express Odoriko is still running?

There's no mention of it on the timetable here:

http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/english/wb/common/timetable/e_lex_tokaido_d/index.html

Oh, from this link:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20121010.pdf

It seems that it runs in winter?

I would've thought that running in Summer was better?

Edited by stevenh

Sorry for the ignorance, but isn't the Marine View Odoriko (MVO) basically the same route as the Super View Odoriko (Tokyo to itokyu)? I would wish to travel on the E251 Suuper View Odoriko instead of the E259 MVO as the windows are far larger and better for sightseeing on the E251...  

The E259 MVO is basically the same as the E259 NEX, which I think many have already travelled on from Narita to Tokyo or vice versa... The green class though is definitely worthy to try...

I would still reserve the E251 Super View Odoriko for travelling along this coastal line ~  :)

I see so many interesting trains on the time table, especially the 485 series Salon trains like Hana, Zipangu etc. ! Cant wait to try them all!

I see so many interesting trains on the time table, especially the 485 series Salon trains like Hana, Zipangu etc. ! Cant wait to try them all!

Steve probably has already tried the other ones, so basically you're answering your own question ;)

If you have the opportunity, take the weirdest/oddest train on the route, as this is most likely the first to go with the next timetable revision.