Wamu 80000 Freight Cars Deadhead

bill937ca

I thought all the small freight cars were retired at the end of the fiscal year last March.  October is kind of late to return cars.

• Like 1

Is it possible they are being taken to the JR Kanazawa shop for scrapping?  This would make sense as all the other Blue Wamu 80000's were taken there, I beleive.  Maybe they had to park them somewhere until they had room at the shop for scrapping more.  Still a very nice video.  Will miss those Blue Wamu's.

It appears that the wamu 80000 have been scrapped at numerous locations, given that they are easy to scrap with no electrical equipment, interiors, etc. to deal with.

At Toukou Station, Nagoya Rinkai Rlwy:

At Shizuoka Freight Station:

• Like 4

Cool find Bikkuri, that scene at the end of the first video where the excavator with the electromagnetic attachment picks up the wheelset was quite a surprise.  I didn't think the magnet would be that strong.  Gotta keep my wristwatch away from that!

On an unrelated but more cheerful note, on the end of the first video one can see the tail end of a container train passing the scrapping area, this has a few sheet steel/steel coil carriers aboard.

Cheers NB

It appears that the wamu 80000 have been scrapped at numerous locations, given that they are easy to scrap with no electrical equipment, interiors, etc. to deal with.

At Toukou Station, Nagoya Rinkai Rlwy:

At Shizuoka Freight Station:

Great Vids - the precision of the crane operator in proximity to other workers is exceptional !

Thanks

I just stumbled upon these two videos of Wamu8000 on the Gakunan railway. I presume that they were meant for companies along the line of the Gakunan railway and were filmed just before they were retired, but I found the second video especially remarkable.

• Like 2
I just stumbled upon these two videos of Wamu8000 on the Gakunan railway. I presume that they were meant for companies along the line of the Gakunan railway and were filmed just before they were retired, but I found the second video especially remarkable.

In the case of the Gakunan, just one company - Nippon Daishowa Paperboard Yoshinaga. When Daishowa ceased shipping by rail the need to use the WaMus also ceased. There was another operation Niigata way which also used blue WaMu cars, but that was containerized.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Second video show "kicking operation" - very nice - Thank you Densha for post

"Flying switch" is another phrase meaning the same as "kicking".  It refers to the act of switching (shunting) cars, not the physical track switch.

And yeah, it looks like kicking to me.  Pretty interesting.

I still don't understand what they are exactly doing, I haven't seen this before. Did the loco uncouple from the Wamu's while running backwards and those guys hanging onto them applied the brakes?

In this case, it looks like the loco gave a push, then stopped at the switch after the cars went into the siding, threw it, and then went off on a different track.  The person (or people, but I only saw one) riding the cars will throw the handbrake to stop the cars where desired. 

This is also used if the loco is pulling the car and can't run around them to push them into the siding.  It gets them started, then runs ahead and ducks onto the other track.  Someone on the ground quickly throws the switch, and the cars go into the siding.

It's a very old technique in railroading, but not often seen today due to the risks to the person riding the cars (or to others if for some reason they don't get the brake activated in time).  There's a lot less control this way if anything goes wrong than there is with a coupled loco.

• Like 2
"Flying switch" is another phrase meaning the same as "kicking".  It refers to the act of switching (shunting) cars, not the physical track switch.

And yeah, it looks like kicking to me.  Pretty interesting.

Did not know that - thanks for explaining