Joshinweb article: Greenmax third rail

bill937ca

I agree Frosty,

The Joshinweb site looks great, but I wouldn't buy the Greenmax 3rd rail product.  Besides, it looks too far away from the train.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I don`t think its out of scale for a top  contact third rail. There is an insulator, on which the rail is mounted and above that the insulated cover which has to be high enough for the contract shoe mounted mid way up the truck to reach the third rail.  There are various types of third rail. and top contact is generally the highest and largest. It looks in scale for the third rail in this subway.

Good post bill you beat me to it.

It really isn't out of scale nor does it stick out too much.

The picture is bad and doesn't reflect the look correct look.

It was on display at their super kids play land in a shelf for new and upcoming items.

I'll see if I snap a shot when I come back there next week

Edit

Here's some pics from GM book the other day I picked up.

post-484-1356993105756_thumb.jpg

post-484-13569931085557_thumb.jpg

Davo, if I'm right they also made them in N scale, but these third rail thingies are much too wide for that of course.

It would be perfect for HO scale.

It looks like it was designed for tying into HO scale flex track.  The extended tie size and spacing look about right for that.  Green Max  would be better off marketing the third rail here to subway modelers here in the states.  Walthers/Life like has sold a bunch of IRT R-17 and such over th years.  This looks like it would be easy to install  on your subway line.  The only existing model third rail is beautifully scaled, but expensive and a real pain to use.

http://www.imagesreplicas.com/accessories.htm

Third rail on the Ginza line.  Its well above the running rail and well back.  Another photo.

Ah, look at the relationship between the train and 3rd rail on the far track in that photo.  Then look at the Greenmax product.  The issues are fourfold:

1. Position: the GM product is just too far away from the train.  While different trains will have different bogies, I think it could still be much closer than it is;

2. Compatibility: The GM product just doesn't suit the pre-ballasted Tomix and Kato track, which is also not prototypical in subways generally.  However, because they have attempted to be compatible by adding those chunky feet, the product is unsuitable for use with standard track such as Peco.  I find this particularly disappointing because I'm half way through my subway layout and would have liked to incorporate the product;

3. Colour:  The 1970's mission brown colour doesn't help.  By picking individual components out in suitable greys and silvers the bulk and apparent out-of-scale, clumsy look of the GM product might be mitigated;

4. Manufacture:  Detail parts just never look good in plastic.  It's the little things like the rounded corners, extrusion marks (there's one running full length along the top) that give way to the fake look.

Cheers

The_Ghan

You could always cut the legs an glue closer too.

Though I can see why it is further out as every train is different.  Too close and your left with 1 model that rubs.

Better than nothing though and you time poor so go ahead and make your own with no time  :grin

Agreed. Getting some lengths of flex track and stripping the rails from the sleepers would probably produce a better result. It wouldnt be too difficult to fix this at the end of the sleepers. You wouldnt be restricted to working in 4" lengths either and would probably save some money overall.

• Like 1

The Greenmax third rail has recently come back into stock.  Here`s a photo from Wikipedia that shows the running rail and third rail very clearly.  This station now has platform gates, alas.

On the color, Toronto paints its stepping covers bright yellow. It takes next to no time for track grime to cover the yellow with a blackish-brownish grit. Casually riding the subway you would not believe how grime there is at track level.  On the surface it can get blown away by winds and breezes.  In the tunnel it has nowhere to go.

Edited by bill937ca