Koyasan - Kyoto on Tuesday October 16th

The_Ghan

As the title suggests, I will probably be travelling from Koyasan to Kyoto on Tuesday October 16th.  I'll be travelling with Mrs_Ghan, so departure after 8:00am is required.  Using Hyperdia I can't find a way to get to Kyoto that uses less than 5 different trains.  Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Not counting the Nankai cable car from Koyasan to Gokurakubashi, and using limited expresses, it can be done with three.  On Nankai, Gokurakubashi to Shin-Imamiya on a no-charge Rapid leaving Gokurakubashi at 9:13AM or the limited express Koya at 10:54 AM.  Go "back" (overall it's the wrong direction) one station to Tennoji on JR and there get a Haruka or Kuroshio for Kyoto.  Be careful, some of the Kuroshios only go to Shin-Osaka.

If you can't use a JR limited express, it can still be done with only 3.  From Shin-Imamiya catch a Loop Line train to Osaka and then change to a local/rapid/special rapid.  All will go at least as far as Kyoto.  Edit: at Osaka, some locals, especially those originating on the Takarazuka Line, only go as far as Takatsuki, look out.