Rice Fields

CaptOblivious

I know I saw something on here once before but damned if I can find it now. Aside from that thread and this link, http://www.warfactory.co.uk/scenery/vpaddy.html Jeff sent me, how else can you go about making a rice field. It's going to be a March or April project.

I was in a scrapbooking store, and saw this stuff called glue tape. Apparently, it's some sort of glue applied in a thin line to a plastic backing: You tear off a strip, press it down, and remove the backing. Then you get a narrow line of glue for attaching things to—like static grass :D That's one possibility.

You might also ask the folks at Scenic Express about the Mininatur crop rows. The smaller grass style rows looked like they might make good rice rows. Not available on the website, but they can order 'em for you.

http://www.scenicexpress.com/

Finally, this guy is doing amazing, if tedious, things with Woodland Scenics field grass:

http://morii.blog.eonet.jp/rmodel/2008/10/post-90ac.html

I was in a scrapbooking store, and saw this stuff called glue tape. Apparently, it's some sort of glue applied in a thin line to a plastic backing: You tear off a strip, press it down, and remove the backing. Then you get a narrow line of glue for attaching things to—like static grass :D That's one possibility.

You might also ask the folks at Scenic Express about the Mininatur crop rows. The smaller grass style rows looked like they might make good rice rows. Not available on the website, but they can order 'em for you.

http://www.scenicexpress.com/

Finally, this guy is doing amazing, if tedious, things with Woodland Scenics field grass:

http://morii.blog.eonet.jp/rmodel/2008/10/post-90ac.html

Crap, that last one is in Japanese. I can read it, but have no clue what any of it means, LOL. I'll have to look in to the links a bit closer tonight. I do like the idea of using the SE stuff as I've come to like them over WS.

Don - His field grass is amazing, I've tried using the WS grass stalks and it's not easy to work with but it is tedious, he has a lot of patience.

aaron,

Might be worth going over to the fabric store and seeing what is in the scrap bin. there might be some sort of a fabric with furry rows on it that you could trim up to make little rice rows. then paint them green (and to harden them some) the flood with epoxy resin for water.

tomix showed making crop rows of some sort by taking a very low astroturf (looked like some sort of door mat material) and taking a hot soldering iron to melt rows into it.

email gyula and see what he did for the nice little one he did for the layout. i think he just used plaster to make his walls and rows, painted and textured the earth some, then seeded the top of the rows with a little ground green foam. then i think he just flooded with a few coats of matte medium for the water effect.

probably going to acmoore today ill try the walkabout to see if there is anything laying around there that might look like something to make rice rows out of. hopefully the wont nab me as a potential shop lifter or weirdo (well i guess i do fit that)...

cheers

jeff

Funny, I was just thinking of the rice field today between cursing the dead router. Figures I have everything I need to build five PC's yet not a single spare router.

I'll fire off an email to Gyula tonight once I get caught up on the 52 emails waiting in the queue.

Aaron,

hey may have some leads for you soon on potential rice plant material for your paddies. talking to a couple of guys that have done some recently and getting details on how they did them.

for seedlings you might try the hook side of velcro tape. there is green stuff at home despot that has two little ends to each hook that look like two little unfurling leaves. have to find out if its sparse enough matrix to use as is or if you clip off alliterating rows.

for medium to full grown plants you can also try some of the fine astro turfs for putting greens. you just cut rows into it by removing some of the blades along the rows. then flood with gloss medium

one last approach for about to be harvested is to use the ends of a plastic broom. the ends are frayed well. only problem is you have to make your base dirt rows, the poke holes along the rows and plant individual sets of stalks. this can take a while, but the results do look pretty awesome!

im trying to get some more info on these and see if they we can get this written up in a better form to publish on the site with some picts

cheers

jeff

I suspect that to get a realistic-looking rice field will involve a lot of tedious modelling work. The method described in the linked blog is an interesting one, but as others have noted, time consuming.

I did experiment briefly with artificial turf, but the results were not very convincing at all. I'm going to try the method shown in the blog, and see how that turns out.

Cheers,

Mark.

Ok i got Paul Igraham of AsiaNRails in California to write up how he did his wonderful rice fields for an article on the JRM website.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/ricefields.html

he got great results with the hook side of the heavy duty green velcro for doing just planted seedlings w/o a lot of tedious work. looks to be a very promising route there!

he did the tedious route for his mature plants with hand planting of each clump, but it does look wonderful. im talking with another chap that was experimenting with astro turfs.

perhaps this is something that tomytec may eventually make! little strips of rice plants at a couple of different stages!

cheers

jeff

I looks great the rice fields but it does seem like a lot of work. The way he sculpted the terrace is wonderful but did he have to plan that hill out!

I especially loved the use of leather shoe laces to make the paddy walls. perfect stuff to be pliable, but give that earthen wall feel with a little detailing!

i think the velcro does great for the seedling planting effect. granted planting several hundred (or thousand) rice plants by hand seems like a lot of work, but gets great results!

actually easier to make a terraced hill like that than a rounder one. its an old scenery trick to just make terraces and then fill in the terraces with trees to cover up the ledges.

cheers

jeff

Going to forward all the info I have to Squid and commission him to do it. I'm sure he'd be glad to take a break from Gundam stuff and Warhamemr for a few weeks.