JR Kyushu Cruise Train Seven Stars

JR Kyushu is planning  a new cruise train.  There is an interesting web site with lots of artists renditions of the train.  This will be very expensive. It interesting that it already has an official English web site.  

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/cruisetrain/train_info.html

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/fun_spots/AJ201205300005

Another train for the gotta have it guys.   :grin  :grin  :grin

Ouch... It will definately be expensive... *target the rich*...

Yufuin area? What will happen to the current green diesel Yufuin 4-carriage train?

I seriously love the idea.  As I'm currently planning our trip in October, I had thought what a good idea it would be to have a cruise train running between Hataka and Tokyo.  We're currently budgeting $4000 for accommodation and a similar amount for transport over 3 weeks.  Surely they could do a cruise train for a similar price.

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

The loco concept looks like a DF200 / Alfa-Romeo Gulietta hybrid?  :grin

JR Kyushu has good concepts, but they overstyle IMO.

disturbman
We're currently budgeting $4000 for transport over 3 weeks.

Hé?! How is that possible? You are going to tour Japan in taxi? IIRC, a 3 weeks JR Rail Pass is around 400€...

I wonder why that train will be loco hauled and not a DMU/EMU.

Nick_Burman

Hé?! How is that possible? You are going to tour Japan in taxi? IIRC, a 3 weeks JR Rail Pass is around 400€...

More flexibility - it means that the consist can shrink/expand according to necessity.

The great question mark is the loco... is JR Kyushu going to purchase a loco for it, or are they going to hire one from JRF? As BB pointed out before if they hire the loco, it will have to go through a diet so it can travel along some weight-restricted lines.

Cheers NB

I personally think Kyushu train has the best interior design and look but why this particular loco design and exterior colour?

We're currently budgeting $4000 for accommodation and a similar amount for transport over 3 weeks.

Including the flights from home I hope?  ???

Are you planing to rent your own trains? A 21 day Green Class JR Pass is around 1000$.

Even the accommodation budget looks a bit high to me... But I was used to sleep in minshuku and small ryokans.

At least you planned enough money, and that's always a good thing! :-)

PS: I want to make this train trip, it looks gorgeous and Kyushu is a beautiful place!

disturbman,

It's pretty easy.  I'm travelling with Mrs_Ghan.  The deal is Green Rail Passes - Thats $962 each.  There goes roughly half my budget.  We also need a domestic flight between Narita and Fukuoka.  I'm sure there will be plenty of private rail journeys too, so "$4000 for accommodation and a similar amount for transport over 3 weeks" seems entirely realistic to me.

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn
We also need a domestic flight between Narita and Fukuoka.

AirAsia (a LCC) is offering flights from Narita and Fukuoka beginning Aug. 1- (around 9000yen one way)

We also need a domestic flight between Narita and Fukuoka.

AirAsia (a LCC) is offering flights from Narita and Fukuoka beginning Aug. 1- (around 9000yen one way)

Skymark also offers internal charter flights: http://www.skymark.co.jp/en/

For some trips, it's even more interesting than the train, but I shouldn't tell this on a train enthusiats forum! ;-)

Ghan: if you have the money and plan for more of a luxury trip I think you will enjoy this. :-)

Thanks for the tips guys.

With regard to the domestic flight, it will be from NRT-FUK on the back of the SYD-NRT leg.  We're going to do it as a connecting flight so that our bags get checked right through and things are sorted by the airline IF our SYD-NRT is delayed.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I think this would work on Kyushu, since at least the scenery is reasonably nice on the non-Shinkansen routes. I don't think it'll work on the San'yō Main Line, since from the series of long videos I saw on the ride Shimonoseki to Fukuyama, the scenery isn't that interesting with either rural or industrial areas next to the tracks (though the scenery is nicer east of Hiroshima to Itozaki Station).

Davo Dentetsu

The loco concept looks like a DF200 / Alfa-Romeo Gulietta hybrid?  :grin

I had an earlier Alfa 147 in mind.  Looks the business, anyway. :)