Kato, does it manufacture more N. American or Japanese Prototypes?

Bernard

This is a question that I've had in the back of my mind for some time now. Whenever I talk to friends who also are modelers, the majority of them rate Kato trains the highest. I tell them that I think, but I'm not sure, that Kato has a lot more Japanese prototypes than N. American.

So this is a 2 part question, does Kato have more Japanese Prototype designs than N. American and secondly, which prototype do they produce more of on the production line?

This is a question that I've had in the back of my mind for some time now. Whenever I talk to friends who also are modelers, the majority of them rate Kato trains the highest. I tell them that I think, but I'm not sure, that Kato has a lot more Japanese prototypes than N. American.

So this is a 2 part question, does Kato have more Japanese Prototype designs than N. American and secondly, which prototype do they produce more of on the production line?

Just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples. By production are we talking Japanese N scale to N. American N-scale? A huge bit of Kato USA's production and releases are HO-scale.

Considering the out of production models I would  say Japanese. All the buildings are really models of Japanese structures, come only with Japanese graphics,  although some can be adapted as North American.  Kato has an European collection also, so there focus probably could be described as medium-high quality railway models.  Kato's showrooms are in Japan only. This link has a "you-were-there" galley of photos.

http://www.pbase.com/atsf_arizona/kato_showroom_tokyo&page=all

Still Kato is a family owned business and has a reputation of failing to satisfy demand when that exceeds the plan.  Dealers in Japan often receive less than they have ordered. Dealers outside Japan either have contacts in Japan (almost essential) or get what they get.  But that is not limited to Kato, I've heard  the same complaint with Corgi.

Tomix by comparison is a division of one of the world's largest toy companies.  It tends to have a greater share of the first train market.  You can see this in the marketing of track sets and the three car train sets.

Many things in Japan look Western, but really they aren't.  The Japanese have a way of adapting things to their own unique tastes.

T

I don't think you will get any hard answers on the second part.  Kato is a family owned business and as such does not have to reveal figures. 

On the other hand the Japanese model train market is huge about 9 million modelers, 95% N Gauge,  versus 500,000 for all gauges in North America.

I've seen a suggestion that what Kato does is really produce iconic trains for the Japanese market. I would take that one further and say it produces iconic trains for the Japanese market whether they are Japanese, North American or European.  You don't see anything like the Tomytec models in the Kato line.

On the other hand the Japanese model train market is huge about 9 million modelers, 95% N Gauge,  versus 500,000 for all gauges in North America.

That is some statistic! Reading magazines like Model RR, you would get the impression that Kato make mostly N.A. prototypes. A few issues back Model RR had a cover story on "Modeling a N. American prototype in Japan". For me it would have been more interesting to see a Japanese Prototype layout in Japan. The layout was impressive and the owner of it, is a personal friend of the CEO of Kato.

Aaron I forgot to put in "N scale", my mistake.

That is some statistic! 

I believe North American N scale is estimated at 50,000..  At those figures the Japanese market is 180 times the North American market.

Aaron I forgot to put in "N scale", my mistake.

Np, It is fascinating when you look at the market of what Kato sells in the N. American market compared to the Japanese market. Kato being one of the top dogs in the US market. (I can't swear to their sales in Canada.)

A few issues back Model RR had a cover story on "Modeling a N. American prototype in Japan". For me it would have been more interesting to see a Japanese Prototype layout in Japan. The layout was impressive...

Bernard, it was impressive, but like you I would much rather have seen a Japanese prototype layout instead. But I've noticed that on those rare occasions that MR features a non-North American layout, the howls of protest from the readers can be heard plainly in Australia! ;D

Cheers,

Mark.