Man forces emergency stop, gets off train and goes home

bikkuri bahn

Apparently he overslept, and didn't get off the train at his stop...

Name the man who opened door as train left Darlington station

4:35pm Thursday 26th January 2012

By Matt Westcott

POLICE are trying trace a man who opened a train door as it attempted to leave Darlington railway station.

British Transport Police (BTP) Officers have released an image of a man they want to speak with following the incident which happened on Thursday, January 19 around 4.20pm, on the Kings Cross to Aberdeen East Coast service.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/9496193.Name_the_man_who_opened_door_as_train_left_Darlington_station/?ref=mr

While I think that's a remarkably stupid thing to do, I'm likely a bit biased by knowing just what an emergency stop is, and what it takes to get started after.  For a typical commuter, it may seem a lot like ringing the attention bell on a bus if it starts forward before you get to the door.  I've seen plenty of people do that, and if the bus hasn't gone out of the stop (and if the driver is feeling charitable) sometimes it works.

But I'll admit, in years of riding commuter rail and subways, I've never seen anyone pull the emergency stop because the train started moving before they got off.  Usually they just punch the door and swear a lot.

In any case, with a photo that clear you know they're going to catch up with him, and he's really going to regret this.