little jolt here in the DC area

cteno4

well we had some excitement a 5.9 quake centered about 100miles south of dc. right next to scott down in charlottesville! scott you ok?

best jiggle i have felt since leaving CA! no damage around here, didnt even trip the UPS at all here. it did knock my wind up zephyr off the top of my monitor.

news is having fun!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Online Norwegian newspaper had a massive headline going like "Pentagon and white house evacuated after massive earthquake" .. Slightly exaggerated ;)

Yes, your American earthquake was felt north of Toronto in the town of Markham. Tell your military to be more careful when transporting their earthquake machine in future.

LOL! only massive in that it was felt over a large area for a smaller quake. they evacuated most of the large buildings to make sure things were cool with buildings. most seem to be going back into buildings now. it was a little shaker maybe 15 sec, not a big roller or big jolter.

no word yet from the areas down around the epicenter near where scott is, i expect there will be some damage there with stuff off shelves, windows, etc. biggest worry with this level of quake with all the brick and stone used around here is loose stuff coming off onto sidewalks. falling brick/stone was actually the big killer in loma prieta after the highway collapse. a brick from 15' can really do a lot of damage to someone on the sidewalk...

my first thought was bomb even though it felt like an earthquake as im just not use to jolts like this outside CA.

cheers

jeff

I thought it was a bomb too at first. USGS scaled the quake back to a 5.8 from 5.9 DC At first, I thoguht I just had the bass up too loud as I just launched iTunes till I realized that the concrete floor was shaking too something that never happens with either of the sub-woofers on.

Apparently, everything east of the San Andreas Fault will one day fall into the ocean.    :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

I'm in Upstate NY and we didn't feel anything but friends and family in the NYC area did.

There have been reports that there was some damage to the Washington Monument, any more information on that?

There have been reports that there was some damage to the Washington Monument, any more information on that?

Its gone political.  :cheesy  Leaning to the right!!!  :laugh:  Of course, if you look at from the other side its leaning left!    ???

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/aug/23/picket-fnc-reports-washington-monument-may-be-tilt/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvrFUZ5g5GQ

Apparently, everything east of the San Andreas Fault will one day fall into the ocean.    :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Are you sure that wasn't anything east of Perth, Australia?

on the washington monument there are some cracks in the top pyramid stones. two engineering companies are coming in today to assess what to do. it will be closed for a while it looks like. doesnt seem to be anything structural, just the exterior stones. the national cathedral is in worse shape cosmetically, loosing a couple of spire tops and quite a few gargoyles and decorative stones. they have had craftsmen there for decades now making all these custom modern gargoyles (like lawyers, executives, and politicians -- what could be more scarier than that!), so replacing them is not going to be easy or cheap. next time i bet they use better epoxy!

i must admit it was a bit funny for a california boy to watch the news that night! folks running from buildings during the quake -- last thing you want to do as if the building is going to come down during the quake you will probably be still near enough and exposed or in a really bad spot in the building near big glass windows to get nailed, worse is that even if the building is fine when you exit the building you can get thumped by falling debris from the building exterior or worse glass! duck and cover, duck and cover.

folks description of the even was also pretty wild as many of them described every kind of earthquake possible rolled into one at about a magnitude 7 or worse with walls flexing, floors with waves going across them, jolts that knocked them from their feet and they could not stand up during the shaking. sorry it was nothing near that, but all those movies, stories from big quakes and such are in their heads and of course got added to this little shaker to make a good blerb for the news crew!

end days folks are having fun this week, first the quake, now a hurricane!

jeff

Cheers

The_Ghan

this is what we use to always say in California when the rest of the country would say the opposite! there was a great cartoon map of the resulting US of California with the new east coast in the central valley!

jeff

Its gone political.   :cheesy  Leaning to the right!!!   :laugh:  Of course, if you look at from the other side its leaning left!    ???

Priceless comment, I can't stop laughing....good one Bill!  :cheesy

Jeff - What about CA thick glue? Could you picture the size of the bottle!?  :grin

Nah Bill,

We're on a GBFO sandstone plate.  Most of our fault lines are well out to sea.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Nah Bill,

Cheers

The_Ghan

I heard there was a big sink hole forming under parliament house in Canberra  :laugh:

Jeff - What about CA thick glue? Could you picture the size of the bottle!?  :grin

well funny you should ask that as they made an attempt today to do exactly that. Only hitch was they got the big ass tube of super glue up there with a skycrane and then they realized they forgot to take off the lid and poke the hole in the tip! have to start all over on friday!

cheers

jeff

post-25-13569928623929_thumb.jpg

Nah Bill,

Cheers

The_Ghan

Yeah!!!  The biggest just happens to run the length of my country.  Thanks ;-)

Angus (NZ)

Wish these damn natural disasters would stop occurring during the week I have deadline. Bad enough I had to come up with an earthquake article, and now I have to get a hurricane article out and sent to the printers. You know the old saying, "Stop the presses"? Well, yet it totally fracks off the printing press manager.

• Like 1