Micro Layouts

How about a thread on micro layouts?  This layout folds up.  Very neat and small.

A Japanese tram diorama.

• Like 2

Carl Arendt was the master in these micro layouts. Unfortunately he passed away earlier this year.

Hopefully his website will remain up, but it's not certain. Make sure to download any ideas you might want in the future. Many have offered to maintain it but I never heard if anyone got permission to do so yet or not.

Some really great ideas here, mr Arendt was a real credit to the hobby.

Jeff

Hey I was wondering if anyone had more links to the micro Japanese layouts, mainly the very tiny (usually round or small oval or rectangle) ones. They get linked to in some of the show topics and such but hard to locate them so I thought I would resurrect this old topic to see if anyone has any links.

one seller of them at Sakatsu has some.

jeff

brill27mcb

Jeff, I think I know partly where you're going on this - the smallest. We need to find the layout loop that was built on top of a Compact Disk. I also just read on old post in the Yahoo Groups archive of groups.io/g/nscaletraction where the writer had built an HO loop where the inside rail was the edge of a U.S silver  dollar. And there was a Japanese vendor recently that sold small elongated ovals where I think a single straight inside rail served both sides of the oval.

Rich K.

Well not so much just going for the smallest, but the whole concept of the tiny layout like 4-10” range. They pop up here on the forum from time to time on many different topics and every so often (like on the nscaletraction group the other day) I find myself telling someone about these but no handy place to grab some links to show them the idea. It’s definitely a Japanese model train niche hobby, but pretty prevalent compared to elsewhere. Almost always see them at Japanese train shows in some way or another.

jeff

MeTheSwede
18 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

Jeff, I think I know partly where you're going on this - the smallest. We need to find the layout loop that was built on top of a Compact Disk.

On a Compact Disk?  That would be an excessive amount of space!

It looks like this train is traveling backwards in time:

Edited by MeTheSwede
  • Like 2
MeTheSwede

Jeff, it looked like you had been peaking at one of my Youtube playlists before you posted those videos. 😄

Yoshiaki Ishikawa 石川宜明 who makes the tiny trains and diaoramas for sale at Sakatsu Gallery has a Twitter account where he posts photos and videos of his amazing creations. https://twitter.com/itchan0324

They are all amazing and I will probably have another favourite tomorrow, but today I'm picking this one, atleast among the "medium sized" ones:

https://twitter.com/itchan0324/status/1621675947106910209

• Like 1

Well found a couple with searching on youtub and just followed the suggested links to a few more. Please add more here!

We have had many of these come across the forum over the years, I just realized they were scattered across many topics and almost impossible to unearth searching the forums. It’s nice to have topics like this on s9me things as a one stop shop for the particulars that are normally scattered.

thanks

jeff

brill27mcb
3 hours ago, MeTheSwede said:

On a Compact Disk?  That would be an excessive amount of space!

It looks like this train is traveling backwards in time:

That's great! You win!

Rich K.

• Haha 1