Tomix #92623 (Twilight Express 7-Car Passenger Set)

stevenh

Bernard wanted to see a few pics of this set, so here they are...

From what Martjin has helped me with... it seems that this is a really old set and so finding the extra 3 cars to complete a 10 car set will be quite difficult. Currently the 7-Car set looks great running, but I'm slightly concerned as to the lighting when running on AC... the buzzing is a little loud. I might slap some AC/DC rectifiers in there to see what will happen.

So far though, I love it :)

Excuse the dark pics... I should've taken the shots at lunch... I also didn't have enough distance to get the whole lot in focus... I attempted to get as far back as possible and use zoom. It sorta worked.

post-61-1356992207109_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922072389_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922073089_thumb.jpg

post-61-13569922073373_thumb.jpg

Martijn Meerts

If you can figure out the running numbers of each of the cars, I should be able to figure out which cars you are missing. I won't be home for another 9-10 hours or so, but I'll check the catalog and make a list of the full set with the running numbers of each of the cars and  in which order they should go (well, according to Tomix anyway ;))

Steven - Thanks for posting the photos. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand word."

Nice set and good luck getting the missing carriages.

Martijn Meerts

Here are the details of the current Tomix "Twilight Express" set:

Locomotive: EF81, running numbers included are 43, 44, 48, and 105 (92240)

Car 1: SURONEFU 25-500 compartment car (92241)

Car 2: SURONE 25-500 compartment car (92242)

Car 3: SUSI 24-0 dining car (92241 or 8514 for lit table lights)

Car 4: OHA 25-550 saloon car (92241)

Car 5: OHANE 25-520 compartment car (92241)

Car 6: OHANE 25-520 compartment car (92242)

Car 7: OHANE 25-510 compartment car (92242)

Car 8: OHANE 25-560 sleeping car (92241)

Car 9: OHANEFU 25-500 sleeping car (92240)

Unnumbered car: KANI 24-0 luggage van (92240)

I've just managed to secure the missing cars from a friend in Japan, the shipment should arrive eventually...

They were:

Tomix 2578 - Ohane25-520 x 2.

Tomix 2579 - Surone25-500.

As for the running order you posted previously, it's different when compared to the consist mentioned here (scroll down to twilight express)... But, the order you've given is correct as to the wordings below the image...

Either way, I now understand it and can't wait to slap it altogether and run it on the Shinkansen tracks... hah.

CaptOblivious

I've just managed to secure the missing cars from a friend in Japan, the shipment should arrive eventually...

They were:

Tomix 2578 - Ohane25-520 x 2.

Tomix 2579 - Surone25-500.

As for the running order you posted previously, it's different when compared to the consist mentioned here (scroll down to twilight express)... But, the order you've given is correct as to the wordings below the image...

Either way, I now understand it and can't wait to slap it altogether and run it on the Shinkansen tracks... hah.

Your package should have information on the consist. My Tomix Yumekuukan set, in the instructions, lists three different consists (with dates) that the Yumekuukan cars have been run with. The Twilight Express has almost certainly been rearranged over the years, so both Martijn and *that guy* might be correct.

Martijn Meerts

*that guy* .. hehe ;)

Anyway, my list is from the Tomix catalog, where they only list 1 consist. I haven't checked any of the boxes to see if they list different possibilities based on year and such.

Also, there's more than 1 twilight express train, they might not all run the same arrangement of cars all the time. Seeing as Tomix didn't just re-release the old twilight express, but actually gave the sets new product ID's, I'm guessing they might have modeled a different version.

I know, I know... that site, that guy, yada... but I think he's the one with the nice Japanese layout at the last exhibition...Doug someone.

Anyway... off topic.

Martijn, I am never doubting you again... you, of course, have it spot on and what I have ordered is spot on and the world is a happy place. Once it all arrives.

;D

Martijn Meerts

Steven, if anyone, Tomix has it spot on, not me ;)

Anyway, Doug is very often correct, and he does know a lot about Japanese prototype and model trains. His various pages are definitely a good source of information.

Welshbloke

Here are the details of the current Tomix "Twilight Express" set:

Locomotive: EF81, running numbers included are 43, 44, 48, and 105 (92240)

Car 1: SURONEFU 25-500 compartment car (92241)

Car 2: SURONE 25-500 compartment car (92242)

Car 3: SUSI 24-0 dining car (92241 or 8514 for lit table lights)

Car 4: OHA 25-550 saloon car (92241)

Car 5: OHANE 25-520 compartment car (92241)

Car 6: OHANE 25-520 compartment car (92242)

Car 7: OHANE 25-510 compartment car (92242)

Car 8: OHANE 25-560 sleeping car (92241)

Car 9: OHANEFU 25-500 sleeping car (92240)

Unnumbered car: KANI 24-0 luggage van (92240)

I was wondering why Tomix offered the Sushi 24-0 as a single coach as well as in the pack, that explains it!

I've just ordered 92240 and 8514 from HobbySearch. They're out of stock of the rest, but Tomix may do another run of them at some point.

SubwayHypes

i saw a twilight express on ebay the other night for a pretty cheap price, hopefully one of yall swooped up on it?  it was just the car set tho, no motor, but the bid was only at 100 last i checked.

I just finished reading Paul Theroux's "Ghost Train to the Eastern Star," and his last train trip in Japan is a southbound trip on the Twilight Express.

Martijn Meerts

When I bought my twilight express, all parts were still in stock at Tomix. I didn't buy it all THAT long ago, so either they had just done a re-run and I got lucky, or it's not selling all that well and may still be in stock at Tomix.

Welshbloke

Oh dear...I think the base pack and at least the first add-on may well be on my wish list assuming I have any spare money when they hit the market!

Hobbysearch had sold out of the base pack, so I currently have a rather lonely Sushi 24-0 sitting here. The table lighting is very neat though.

Martijn Meerts

If they would only change all the running numbers on the cars, I might be tempted to buy a 2nd set ;)