Trip report: the Kansai "Big Loop", aka mt54 odyssey

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

I've made numerous references to the charm of Kansai railways due to their use of older rolling stock.  Last Sunday, armed with a seishun 18 ticket I sought out some JNR-era rolling stock, particularly those driven by the archetypical mt54 traction motor, the standard on both commuter and ltd. express stock in the sixties and seventies.  I started at the terminus of the Kansai Main Line, JR Namba Station, hoping to catch a uguisu iro (light green) 103 series trainset, but no such luck.  Instead I boarded a Nara bound service using a 201 series, nevertheless attractive in light green (much better than the orange IMO).  Here is a lineside shot of a 201 series, I assume somewhere in Nara Prefecture:

Upon arrival in Nara, I caught a local on the Nara Line which is in the hands of light green 103 series units (mt55 motor、essentially a slightly lower powered version on the mt54).  This is a single track line, with meets at station loops, very interesting. Here is a 103 series Miyakoji Rapid service, note the parallel Keihan Uji Line:

Arrival at Kyoto, then a purchase of a Kyoto box lunch (bento) and a waffle from Manneken, then headed to the Kosei Line platform.  Lucky me, it was a 113 series in Shonan Iro colors awaiting- there is a God! Depicted here is a four car unit with Lake Biwa in the background.  The Kosei Line is quite scenic, much more so than the Tokaido Line on the other side of the lake:

This is a video similar to the consist I rode, the rear coupled set like this one was in JR West corporate colors.  At Yamashina:

I also observed a set in the new Kyoto colors (macha iro).  What can I say, it's really...green. Departing Kyoto:

After a change of trains at Omi Maiko Sta. it was on to junction station at Omi Shiotsu.  The return journey to the Kansai Metro area was on a crowded 223 series, via the Hokuriku/Tokaido Main Line, to complete the encirclement of Lake Biwa.  This video taken at Omi Shiotsu is of a terminating service, you can see the confined space this station area is located in (embankment in a valley):

This journey can be done as one of those 130 yen trips, with a start at Osaka Station and end at Shin-Osaka.  Certainly a railfan travel bargain.

• Like 6
Nick_Burman

The Kosei Line is quite scenic, much more so than the Tokaido Line on the other side of the lake:

Never mind they had to "kill" the Kojaku Railway to get it built... :lipssealed:

Cheers NB