Rakuten sells credit card numbers

Guest Closed Account 1

I paid for my pre-order 10 car set on Friday with HS.  I presume it will arrive this coming week.  Really looking forward to it.  I've also got a 0-2000 16 car Kato set on reserve.  After that ships in June I will use all my accrued points with HS and sit on my hands for a while - until prices become more competitive.

HS point are only good for one year.

http://www.1999.co.jp/point_e.asp?Typ1_c=104

where did you end up ordering them from?

jeff

http://global.rakuten.com/us/  Seems like an Amazon type site.

You're correct in that many of the Japanese shops do not ship internationally.

Ive looked at rakuten for a few odd non model rr japanese products, you can find a lot of stuff that you just cant get shipped otherwise. prices seem pretty good (e5 closer to the old 20% off price!), but shipping is ems. only issue i found is that you have to watch if you buy more than one product as they may come from different shippers and thus shipped separately which can get expensive fast via ems! some of the small items i wanted cost more to ship than the item did...

the interesting thing is that rakuten bought buy.com last year! perhaps a new avenue to japanese trains is appearing! Rakuten does have a lot of affiliates. maybe they will go sal, but may be too much of a hassle w/o tracking for keeping cs up... but there was talk about this setting up an international forwarding service for both sides to use to ship stuff overseas. perhaps we will see some more dealers partner with rakuten for oversea delivery and not have all the cs hassle, especially if rakuten can supply english cs and web interface for them! would be a change in culture for japanese stores, but the younger generation is growing up more globally now everywhere.

cheers

jeff

The fact that they sold personal data is nothing new or unusual. Our MVA (Motor Vehicle Administration or aka as DMV in other states) does this all the time. In Maryland, you have to opt-out of having personal data sold, but in the case of Rakuten to blatantly sell cc numbers is astonishing and outrageous to say the least.

hmm sharing cc info is not good. perhaps they have cleaned their act up some. they would get killed doing that here in the us market, an apology would not hack it here at all if done!

with buying buy.com here they are going at things a bit differently. buy.com already has a functional marketplace up with a pretty good reputation.

but from the description of the japanese side it sounds like they have no central purchasing company like amazon or buy.com does, just the marketplace and being the shipping and payment facilitator, basically an ebay marketplace.

what would be great if they did start a central buying system if they bought trains! right now they are just allowing some japanese shops to list stuff on an english website and facilitate the overseas money and shipping, so will be different story for each shop on rakuten.

cheers

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

What's just as fishy is how this thread got started. I mean the first post answers the last post in the E5 thread.

Not worried about Rakuten. Just call and get a new card.

Rakuten Group consists of the following companies. [As of Feb 2, 2011]

1. Rakuten, Inc.

2. Rakuten Enterprise, Inc.

3. Signature Japan Co., Ltd.

4. Target, Inc.

5. Showtime, Inc.

6. Rakuten Travel, Inc.

7. Rakuten Baseball, Inc.

8. Fine Trading Co., Ltd.

9. Rakuten Bus Services, Inc.

10. Rakuten Auction, Inc.

11. Keiba Mall, Inc.

12. Rakuten Shashinkan, Inc.

13. Net's Partners Co., Ltd.

What's just as fishy is how this thread got started. I mean the first post answers the last post in the E5 thread.

Shashinka [moderator] split the K5 thread after I posted Rakuten's past.  This is really no longer about the K5 anways.

those appear to the the japanese holdings. the target inc isnt the target dept store.

they also now own buy.com in the us and priceminister in europe and another in china for expansion.

there is a bit of a blind transaction as you are only doing the transaction thru them, the product is actually supplied by one of the partners. they have a blind system of putting the shipping labels onto product.

i agree probably safe enough and just watch the cc to make sure you dont get zapped and just file with your cc if there are any troubles.

this got split off by aaron (moderator) into its own thread on the rakuten discussion. the moderators at times split topics if something generates a big branch thread to keep the original thread from getting too diluted. at times they will also merge two very parallel threads as some folks will only have been on one and not the other so good cross pollination.

cheers

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

Moderator, please remove my name and posts from this thread that I did not start nor do I care to subscribe to.

In the future do not do this again without my authorization to use my name.

webskipper,

this is pretty standard practice in forums. its only to keep big treads from getting too off topic.

perhaps the title should have just been "ordering from rakuten" as your intial post that started the side thread was just that. later posts were the ones that talked of the data selling. nothing in your posts though i think is misrepresented.

you can unsubscribe to any thread by just clicking on notify tab.

cheers

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

as your intial post that started the side thread was just that. later posts were the ones that talked of the data selling. nothing in your posts though i think is misrepresented.

I did not start this topic. Someone else did.

CaptOblivious

as your intial post that started the side thread was just that. later posts were the ones that talked of the data selling. nothing in your posts though i think is misrepresented.

I did not start this topic. Someone else did.

In fact, no one started this thread; it was split off, and it had to be split somewhere. It's not really something worth getting upset about…

I just bought some stuff from buy.com the other day, and was surprised to see Rakuten's logo at the top of the page!

sorry webskipper, i meant the content in your post started the chatter about rakuten, not that you started the new thread.

perhaps changing the title to something more on target on how it started like "ordering from rakuten" might be a good title for the split thread. it would be good to hear your experience from rakuten ordering and its also good for folks if they follow rakuten to see there have been some info issues with them, some folks are much more concerned about this than others.

splitting like this does help the forum get more digestible as some threads can get so huge and off topic its hard to follow them.

another suggestion might be if we could start a new split off thread that has a message saying this thread was started from content from another thread and a link to that other thread. that way there is no confusion that someone started the new thread that actually did not.

cheers

jeff

ps i too was surprised to see rakuten points a couple of months back on buy.com. was not sure if it was the same company or just the use of a term rakuten, but turns out they own buy.com! i see why they bought buy.com as its marketplace and even advertising from other companies was earlier and more aggressive than amazon's has been. jr

Shashinka [moderator] split the K5 thread after I posted Rakuten's past.  This is really no longer about the K5 anways.

Correct, the subject was off-topic and hence split at the point where the discussion was no longer relevant to the OP. The title only reflects the topic of subject at its earliest point.

i thought rakuten did ship internationally, but only ems. maybe its only some of the sellers on there as i have looked at some before and it could do ems from all i could see.

jeff

CaptOblivious

Some sellers there, like Tenshodo, will ship internationally. For those that don't, Rakuten themselves can provide the necessary forwarding service.

They have also bought play.com, one of the biggest discount retailers aimed at the uk market for software and technology based gear

looks pretty much like buy.com. big consolidation i guess to battle amazon.

i do find that buy.com at times can have great prices and things on sale and with the free shipping for many things w/o having to have $25 its nice. stuff comes in like 2 days here on the free shipping.

jeff