Joban Line

gmat

I assume that these are part of the Joban Line, but cannot identify the two older models. Anyone help me out?

The green striped one is for Mito.

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

While I left the station to grab a quick bite to eat, this snuck in and was just leaving as I came back. This train and the other blue striped ones both have the LED lights that fragment when shot at higher shutter speeds, something that I didn't notice until it was too late. This one was leaving for Sendai.

DSC_0410.jpg

This one doesn't display the destination station name but leaves it blank. I believe that it will go to Hitachi Station. The previous shots in this series had the number fragmented.

DSC_0414.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0525.jpg

For some reason, even though I stayed at this station for over an hour and a half, I didn't shoot very many good photos of these trains. Next time, I guess.

Best wishes,

Grant

First shot: The one wearing the Joban Line colors look like a Series 211 to me (the other one being certainly a Series E501).

Third shot: Maybe a Series E127.

CaptOblivious

The ones with the blue strip and door on the front are 415-1500's. Would kill for a model of these, but they haven't been produced in a while. The green stripes one with no door on the front is an E501, as a previous poster mentioned. MA recently  announced models of this type. Derivative of the ubiquitous 209 stock. Tghe older looking green one is, I think, well, I'm not sure. 205, maybe?

They look like 211s but they're actually 415-1500s, having AC/DC capability.  Earlier subseries of the 415s looked like 113s.  Off the top of my head I'm not aware of another series number that was applied to such different rolling stock.

CaptOblivious

Capt you are too fast!

I harbor a secret fascination for both variants of the 415. When they run (ran) in mixed formations, they present an interesting study in conrasts, new and old.

• Like 1

The third shot is almost certainly a 701-100 coming from Sendai Station. All the 701 series models look very similar to the E127-100. I had hoped Kato was going to use the E127 DCC tooling and make the small alterations needed to turn it into a number of the 701 paint schemes.

This one comes down the Tōhoku Main Line to Iwanuma where it runs on the Joban line to Iwaki.

I harbor a secret fascination for both variants of the 415. When they run (ran) in mixed formations, they present an interesting study in conrasts, new and old.

I agree that the mixed consists are interesting.  Based on some pictures I've seen, it presents no problems, although I assume the differences are more than superficial.  Do you know if any of the electrical gear is the same so MU'ing works properly?

So I got one out of three, damn those AC/DC rolling-stock! ;)

Damn it indeed.  Keep in mind, way up north in Tohoku, there's some AC-only rolling stock.  In fact the 211/415 has another look-alike, the 719, which is the AC-only version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/719_series.  Also very interesting on this topic, the 5000 subseries of the 719 are standard 4'8½" gauge for the Ou Main Line between Fukushima and Shinjo.

edit: doesn't look like there's any AC-only equipment down in Kyushu

Looks a lot like this one: picture.

Apologies for the useless post here--for some reason, I wasn't able to see all the posts after Vince's that had already settled this. Not sure what happened there. Maybe I had left the thread open too long.