The Ultimate Tomix "Toy"

bill937ca

At $1,400.00 I'm curious if it will be a big seller, we'll see as Xmas approaches.

That is more than any DCC system I know of! I wonder if they give free shipping at that price. I do like the layout that's demonstrating the system.

Martijn Meerts

The main disadvantage is that you still can't have more than 1 train on the same track and be able to control them seperately =)

The main disadvantage is that you still can't have more than 1 train on the same track and be able to control them seperately =)

I believe that is because the Japanese are big on "driving experience" and when you are driving you control only one vehicle.

The Tomix detail page translates quite well with Google translate and lists all the features on pages 2 and 3.

It seems to be a favorite with Japanese rental layouts and the growing number of tetsudo cafes.

Martijn Meerts

True (and I'm not saying this is a bad controller btw, I would actually rather like one myself), but part if the driving experience is also being aware of the other trains ;)

True (and I'm not saying this is a bad controller btw, I would actually rather like one myself), but part if the driving experience is also being aware of the other trains ;)

I find that most Japanese railways operate more like subways or streetcar lines in the rest of the world.  Trains move along in single file with little contact with other lines and their operation is heavily automated with ATC and ATS. This is true of most private railways.  Shinkansen lines have no intersecting traffic other than the train ahead of you or a train in a siding.  Even JR's busiest lines do not have a multitude of branches like commuter lines in North America.