Conference Table with Papers

Jeff keeps mentioning my conference table, so I thought I would post a picture.  Last winter I was fooling around with the Unitram set and wanted to liven up the buildings a bit.  I had no plan to light the interiors, but they still needed something.  I found that it was pretty easy to make simple shapes from paper and also shrink internet photos.  Mostly I was just experimenting to see what would work.  For example, the sumo museum has a number of "exhibits" for visitors to see.  Also, this is a good use of the relatively inexpensive people from China, but I still use Tomytec people out on the streets. 

post-396-13569926560906_thumb.jpg

post-396-13569926561517_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

curt,

thanks mucho! are you going to hire me to start doing real exhibits for your museum?!

shows that you dont need much to really make a scene come alive with a building like this! now we just need to make you some little spot lights out of smd leds to light the exhibit properly!

remind me next time we get together to bring you a prohobby sumo guy to put on display! i have a few extra.

cheers

jeff

Those are great. And it makes it clear that you don't need a lot of complexity to make a convincing scene, just an eye for what detail is important.

And I think those papers on the table are important. Even if you can't see them this clearly in normal viewing, they likely provide a "texture" to the table top, rather than it just being a plain rectangle.

That's it!!!!

I think those little visual devices plays a great game with the viewers of "did you see that". 

Makes for a great layout.

Kamiyacho, I sure people enjoy your layout.

Inobu

yeah the trick is to do just enough to get the mind filling in all the blanks. i think actually if you go too far then you get into the hyper realistic realm where you have to get everything perfect with every little detail in there and just right or the mind then starts finding the holes! sort of walking a fine balance. this balance also changes with scale as well.

it also all about finding the right little scenes that will give, as you say, 'did you see that' impact. these scenes need to be interesting and while being unique, have to come out of the everyday things that would be going on in the greater scene, not a series of totally unlikely events crammed together.

i love how the sumo museum first grabs your eye at the entrance then you follow the whole story if the exhibits on the upper floors as your eye wanders up. makes the whole building tell a story.

curt, keep these coming as its wonderful to spur the imagination! it helped me!

tonight i finally figured out how to fix a problem with one of the tomytec houses i have that was delivered missing one part of the roof. for a $7 building it was not worth returning and no way to get a replacement part. its a little side gable on a tile roof and i bought two different green max tile sections to try to repair it, but neither is a perfect match and trying to do the ridge/cap tiles was a problem. i knew it was going to come out looking not quite right if you looked at it closely.

now im just going to turn it into an interesting little scene by building the rafter framing for the missing gable and have some plywood starting to cover it and a workman up there with ladders working on the project. then this opens a new little scene on the ground with a truck delivering a palette of tile, assorted piles of tools and materials, a guy slacking off, etc!

cheers

jeff

That's it!!!!

I think those little visual devices plays a great game with the viewers of "did you see that". 

Makes for a great layout.

Kamiyacho, I sure people enjoy your layout.

Inobu

In How! Curt you created a scene that tells a small story, the woman taking the posed photo, very typical of what happens in life!

Scraper has posted pictures of his newest high rise with similar little office scenes on each floor

Tomix 4034 n scale office building kitbash  - detailing floors

same idea of minimal visual cues to set a scene and have the mind fill in the details!

cheers

jeff