Speed Chart 1/160 and 1/150

inobu

I got a speedometer and found that knowing the actual speed is really worth while. I wanted Kph and had to make a few calculations and measurements to get my numbers converted.  I though I would make this chart for those who might be interested in getting their numbers. I did not realize how fast I run my trains, no where near prototypical.  

It may help in preparing to dialing your CVs in using the system that Captain posted a few month back.

In order to calculate speed you need to know the distance and time traveled. For distance I used 1 248mm unitrack which converts to 39.68 N scales meters. This piece of track will mark you start and stop points. Clock the start point to exit point of the track. This is your time slip, because you are using 1 piece of track the actual n-scale distance is 39.68 meters. Cross referencing the time in seconds will give you the kph.

The chart has another section that uses 2 pieces which equates to 79.36 N Scale meters so you can calculate higher speeds.

Here is a image of the chart.

[smg id=1011]

If it takes 70 seconds to travel over the one 248mm track your train is traveling 2 Kph. On the right side is the calculation for two pieces on track. This extends the distance so you can calculate higher speeds. You can increase the number of track pieces to allow for higher speed calculations. Because you are clocking farther distances this is allowing longer time hacks.  

Here is the formula I used.

D/T*3.6 = Kph

meter to Kph is 3.6

Nscale meter distance is 6.25 - meaning 6.25 real millimeter is 1 N-scale meter. So 248mm / 6.25 = 39.68 N scale meters

I went over the calculation and I'm 99.9 percent sure it is right. Correct me if I'm wrong (it is not about me being right but me providing the right info.)

Inobu

[smg id=1015 type=av]

update for Finetrack

I agree with your math, with one caveat.  That's a table for 1:160 scale, which means it's appropriate for Shinkansen models, but not for narrow gauge or trams.  The magic number for 1:150 scale is 37.20 instead of 39.68.

Just do two columns in your table, one for 1:150 and one for 1:160.  That way us narrow-gaugers can use it too.  :grin

Ken

Thanks for the information, I'll try running my layout at scale speed and see if things still look the same as when I guess them.

You never know it might make my videos look better, not so blurry.

Richard

When we put the speedometer on the jrm layout it was a good shock to really see speeds and run things more prototypical! took some getting use to, but once you got use to it it felt right. the speedometer is a big hit with the audience! Unfortunately its not been functioning this year, we need to see about probably getting new sensors as it looks like one may not be functioning properly.

cheers

jeff