Help with brand new Kato p42 Genesis - squealing

Allenness

Hi guys... I'm new here. Just set up a Kato M2 track set with a standard power pack, running a P42 Genesis with 4 Superliner cars. I've only had it a few days and the P42 has been squealing randomly since day one. Initially it was quiet, but after a few runs around the track, it started squealing. It gets louder with speed, but it doesn't do it all the time. Seems to come and go randomly. I did a quick search on this and haven't found anything, so I apologize if this is a common issue and has already been discussed many times. Is this normal, or should I try to get it replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Allen K

Hi Allen and welcome to the forum. The first thing I'm going to suggest is to oil all the gears on the train, including the motor. Be sure to use a light oil which you can get at your local Hobby store. Run the train at a slow speed and let the oil work into the gears. This is the simple solution, if it still persists then we'll need to try something else.

Good luck.

CaptOblivious

I agree: likely needs lubrication. AlpineAustralia has an excellent guide to lubrication elsewhere on the forum (sorry, don't have a link handy, but I think its a sticky topic under the "train doctor" forum).

Thank you, guys... I'm surprised that lubrication is needed for a brand new loco, but I guess it might have been laying around in a warehouse for a while before I bought it. I'll give it a shot.

I appreciate your responses.

Allen

it is not uncommon in industry for new machines to be shipped "dry", or with "finish protection only" amount of lubrication.

oil and grease has an amazing way of oozing out, by capillary action , especially in long and uncertain shipping process.

if you took the brand new item out of the box and the paint job was covered ( and possibly stained) with grease you would not be happy either - The appearance of the product in the box is more important to the sale than the absence of sufficient lubrication, so it is unsurprising that the manufacturer errs on the side of not enough.

the difference between "just enough" and "too much" in an N scale package is a very small amount.