Minimum Radius for Kato and Tomix EMU´s

Sir Madog

Somewhere in my attic, there is an old hollow core door of about 24" by 72", which I would like to use as a layout base. With a width of only 24", the max radius I can use on my layout, would Kato´s 282 mm radius for the outer track and 249 mm for the inner track.

Is that sufficient to run Kato or Tomix EMU´s (no bullet train)?

Darklighter

Is that sufficient to run Kato or Tomix EMU´s (no bullet train)?

Yes (as far as I know). The instructions of all my Kato EMUs say 249 mm is the minimum radius.

While it all depends on the coupler design and length of the cars, in your case the answer would be yes. Almost every Japanese N gauge model (EMUs, blue trains, freight cars, locomotives from Kato, Tomix, Microace) runs on 249mm curves (the Kato EMUs with telescoping couplers even work on R216 though the cars touch). The only major exception is Shinkansen, which depending on the model can require up to 315mm to run properly.

Big sigh of relief!

Thanks, guys, that helps me to make up my mind! My initial plans for a layout had to be scrapped for financial reasons and the mini alternative, based on the Hakone Tozan RR did not really satisfy my needs and wants.

I now can progress with planning a layout on that door - will post soon!

CaptOblivious

The only gotcha I've noticed running trains on my 243mm tomix curves is that the body mounted loco coupler pulling a car with a truck mounted coupler can sometimes be a little stiff, and lift the freight cars truck off the rails when transitioning into an incline. So I would avoid starting sharp inclines in the middle of tight curves if you run anything locohauled. But that's quite a small caveat, isn't it?

I wish I´d have more space to have less sharp curves, but those 600 mm width is all I can have. The layout will be mounted above my desk, being nearly at eye level when I am sitting at the desk. I need to look for truck-mounted couplers, then?

Btw, this is the layout I am planning to build:

Tokaido-honsenLine.jpg

JR tends to run 20m rolling stock. I have several private railway trains and they often run 18m or 17m rolling stock because of tighter legacy curves.  My table is 30 inches wide and I have two loops with no problem.  My curves are a combination of Tomix C243, C317 and C354.

CaptOblivious

No, you don't specifically need to look for truck-mount couplers. Indeed, Tomix and Kato body-mounts are better on tight curves than truck mount, because of the way they expand in curves. But the body-mount couplers on Kato and Tomix locos don't expand in that way, and so can be a little problematic on tight curves. But only a little bit! I would put it at 95% reliability. I run all kinds of Japanese models (including a Kato E4 series shinkansen!) on 243mm radius curves all the time very almost no problems.