TOMIX's "Good bye(Sayonara) 500 series (Nozomi) set"

489-YOMPAQ

The only thing I can see is that it seems to have Tomix's all-wheel pickup system (power transfered through couplers). Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a mention of car lighting at that price (the all wheel pickup would seem to made with lighting in mind)

Kato's 500 is scheduled for the 11th, it's not a good-bye version, but the full formation is less expensive at a more normal 33,810 yen for all 16 cars. If you added Kato lighting kits for all the cars you'd end up with a total price of 44,100 yen.

David, yes, KATO's products are usually less expensive than TOMIX's. But I think all KATO's shinkansens doesn't have power transfered through couplers.

"Good-bye version" is limited edition, and specific 500's "W1" formation that ran last as "Nozomi" on February 28th, 2010.

Other good-bye version, TOMIX will also releases "Good-bye Hokuriku", and "Good-bye Noto".

Martijn Meerts

Tomix occasionally does special versions for their sayonara and anniversary sets. They come in a special box with a booklet etc. included. I have a 0 series and 100 series limited set by Tomix.

Also, the Tomix 500 series has 2 motor cars, Kato will most likely only have 1. Judging by how Kato's trains run, it won't matter much, but there are people who are quite certain that 2 motor cars is much better than 1 ;)

Tomix occasionally does special versions for their sayonara and anniversary sets. They come in a special box with a booklet etc. included. I have a 0 series and 100 series limited set by Tomix.

Also, the Tomix 500 series has 2 motor cars, Kato will most likely only have 1. Judging by how Kato's trains run, it won't matter much, but there are people who are quite certain that 2 motor cars is much better than 1 ;)

you have right, but 0 and 100 "Sayonara" sets have different painting (headmark, nose, side painted logo), I think 500 Sayonara is only a big box with a small booklet with pre-painted cars number and stickers.

That's my fifth Shinkansen 500, I hope is the last (or maybe I wait the next in V set formation)

I buy this only to complete my collection but this time I thinks is to much expensive

p.s. if someone have rooftop photos of pre-series original W1 with 3rd pantograph...

That's my fifth Shinkansen 500, I hope is the last (or maybe I wait the next in V set formation)

I buy this only to complete my collection but this time I thinks is to much expensive

p.s. if someone have rooftop photos of pre-series original W1 with 3rd pantograph...

5?? What do you need 5 sets for??  ??? I can only think of 3 "full" releases: Kato, Tomix original, and Tomix newer with full windows (which I bought the pieces for) and fly wheel drive (which I do not have). Then the Sayonara set, which doesn't seem like anything special. So what's the last one?  :laugh:

5?? What do you need 5 sets for??  ??? I can only think of 3 "full" releases: Kato, Tomix original, and Tomix newer with full windows (which I bought the pieces for) and fly wheel drive (which I do not have). Then the Sayonara set, which doesn't seem like anything special. So what's the last one?  :laugh:

Kato original 10-382+10383+10384x2 set and Kato re-pack 10-510/11/12 (I bought this because I have bad infos about improved version, finally is the same).

in addiction to the Tomix first and second run, the Sayonara set is my fifth official set

BTW out of standard equipment I bought another one (used) Kato 10-382 and some add cars and 2 Kato 700 pantograph spare kit because (if I find the time) I would try a kitbashed version of V set and maybe I can transplanting the third pantograph rooftop to the first Kato set to obtain the original W1 set (but before I need the photo to make a correct works)

p.s. I still search photo of 300 J0 original with 5 pantograph (but that's another story....)

ciao

Massimo

p.s. I still search photo of 300 J0 original with 5 pantograph (but that's another story....)

I'll bet Mr. Dave Fossett will know where to find a pic...

jappomania

I'll bet Mr. Dave Fossett will know where to find a pic...

Thank's in avance! Dave wrote my first Shinkansen bible, I still have copy of old Byun Byun site  :grin

I just received 60Kg of old Japan Railfan Magazine form 1995 to 2007 (unfortunatelly not all years complete)

so I found a lot of photo and technical drawings about Shinkansen prototype S4 (400), S5 (STAR21), WIN350, S6 and S7 (E2 and E2'), S8 (E3 prototype afer R1) with 3 double arm panto and more, I'm still reading..

Now I start hunting years from 1980 to 1995 (I hope around '90 to '92 I find what I searching)

if someone need...(and some magazines are double or triple, I can sell it)

ciao

Massimo

Hezekiah Strawbody

ciao

Massimo

Here you are, as well as a later picture of the same set with the evidence on the roof of the extra panto shields having been removed.

post-209-1356992475199_thumb.jpg

post-209-13569924752508_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
jappomania

thank's for the photos!

in the meantime I've found photos about original vertical insulator between the cars (with and without large shield), now I'm only uncertain about pantograph shield form sequence (one side is like an arrow and one is rounded)

for example 2 pantograph formation have < )......( >

how is 3 panto sequence? < )...( )...( > ?

or  < )...< >...( >  ?

or < >...< >...< >  ?

and 5 panto? I'm not 100% sure but I think have all ( ) form

if I find the solution I adivise everyone

ciao

Massimo

Hezekiah Strawbody

thank's for the photos!

in the meantime I've found photos about original vertical insulator between the cars (with and without large shield), now I'm only uncertain about pantograph shield form sequence (one side is like an arrow and one is rounded)

for example 2 pantograph formation have < )......( >

how is 3 panto sequence? < )...( )...( > ?

or  < )...< >...( >   ?

or < >...< >...< >   ?

and 5 panto? I'm not 100% sure but I think have all ( ) form

if I find the solution I adivise everyone

ciao

Massimo

I think middle panto was the two shorter ones - can't advise on the 5 set