Operating catenary?

Mudkip Orange

Yeah, I've seen N scale live catenary, and that doesn't look like it. The pantograph needs to be spring loaded to maintain electrical contact, which inevitably leads to some up/down motion. That pantograph was completely static, and as noted, didn't seem to be touching the wire anyway. At best the wire is live and the pantograph has some little metal piece meant to short it and create a spark whenever it makes brief contact. More likely the effect has nothing at all to do with the train.

CaptOblivious

The wire is clearly Ginga Model etched brass catenery, and the author of the movie seems to claim as much. Translating the comments, the effect appears to be produced using a trick involving generating the spark with the flash-charging capacitor from a disposable camera. I cannot glean any more than that, but it is a neat trick!

Claude_Dreyfus

One of my club colleagues have a little device for his DCC layout that replicates the arching of catenary. It consists of a tiny blue/white LED attached to the pantograph that flashes periodically. It looks really effective.

In terms of overhead powered stuff, my Minitrix Koploper can operate either by track or catenary...I've yet to get to use the latter though  :grin